• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Three types of Wizard protagonists

So typically, when I'm reading fantasy I always notice that the usual archetypes of wizards fall into two distinct categories.

1. Quirky and or eccentric wizard who is very powerful but clumsy and forgetful. This is almost always a good guy and seems to be mostly based off of merlin in The Once and Future King

2. Serious and wise magicians whom are the traditional depictions in the fantasy genre. These are the ones you usually see in old fantasy tales. This category is most similar to gandalf

3. Serious but also sarcastic. These guys are sort of a mix of the previous categories. Bayaz from the First Law seems to fit this category well

I was wondering if anyone else noticed this trend (I actually like these archetypes, don't get me wrong) and perhaps even tell me of Wizard protagonist that don't fit in these roles. (Also when I mean protagonist I don't mean the main character but rather one of the more prominent members of the cast). I'd like to hear your examples!

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 4265

This is a difficult question to answer without first defining wizard. Are we talking about wizards who are specifically referred to as wizards in the story or are we speaking more generally about magic users? Because if its the former definition, then yes, I would agree, wizard sort of carries a certain connotation at this point that this is what we expect at this point, but if we're speaking more generally to include sorcerers, warlocks, shamans, jedi, and whatever other made up words we choose to use for our magic users I would have to disagree.

MineOwnKing

Maester
Raistlin Majere doesn't quite fit into your categories, although he was a little sarcastic.

It's been 25 years since I read Dragonlance so my memory might be flawed.

I remember finding him interesting because he was always close to being really powerful but his health would hold him back and for a while he resented needing his twin brother's help.

There is another wizard in those books that popped in at random. He fit into category 1 but it was never clear if he was just acting that way or genuinely batty.

This is a difficult question to answer without first defining wizard. Are we talking about wizards who are specifically referred to as wizards in the story or are we speaking more generally about magic users? Because if its the former definition, then yes, I would agree, wizard sort of carries a certain connotation at this point that this is what we expect at this point, but if we're speaking more generally to include sorcerers, warlocks, shamans, jedi, and whatever other made up words we choose to use for our magic users I would have to disagree.
I speak more in the former category. As for Raistlin, I don't consider him eligible for this list since he is not a fully accomplished magician.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

TheKillerBs

Maester
I think this isn't just wizards. Most learned men, such as professors and scientists, also get similar portrayals.