• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Where to begin

Futhark

Inkling
So, I am a plotter. I want my outline to look like some grand equation before I start writing. Any advice on this would be great. Anyway, my current question is in regards to the beginning of a character's development. My story is kind of like a fusion between The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan and the Anime show Naruto. In both of these tales the characters start out quite young, or ignorant, and we see their development from the beginning. However, the kind of stories that I enjoy now have characters that are fairly developed and powerful to begin with. I have developed some supporting characters that fill this brief, but I feel like I'm shoehorning and taking the attention away from the main characters. The question is: how do I reconcile what I have with what I want?
Re reading this the question is not too clear. What I mean is, how much importance is placed on showing the character develop, and how much can I reasonably assume the reader will accept and still identify with the character?

Last edited:

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
If your character is already developed, how is he going to change over the course of the book? That's the only growth that matters. We readers will accept any main character at any stage of their lives because at the beginning of the book they are at Point A and at the end they are at Point B. That development might involve growing up or gaining powers, or it might just be changing over the course of a single day. It's the arc of the book that matters. All the rest is backstory.

Futhark

Inkling
I see your point. It really doesn't matter how competent they are at the start because once the events begin unfolding they are forced outside their comfort zone and change anyway. Thanks for the response, much appreciated.

K.S. Crooks

Maester
With the growth needs to come mistakes. Characters and people in general learn best from their mistakes. Having characters who don't know all the answers, make the wrong choices, or even make the right choice in a no win situation helps to connect the reader to their plight. The true character of anyone becomes evident when they are faced with hardship.

Twinss Risen

Dreamer
Whether the reader will identify with the character, depends mostly on what kind of audience you go after.
You should first choose a target audience... Will it be teenagers? Will it be younger kids? Will it be young adults? Or older ones? This also depends on your character's age, but also their traits.

In regards to how important character development is, I will quote something I had read once upon a time, in a source that I no longer remember: Any scene in your movie/book (etc) should either move the story forward (make your character make a decision, make your character act in whatever way that will move the story forward) or, reveal something important about your character's background story. If a scene in your book/movie does not show any of those two, then it is unnecessary.

You see, no matter how amazing your story may be and how many adventures and whatnot may exist in it (take The Hobbit, for example), in the end what's important is your character's development. From where he began and to where he ended up being. All the changes he underwent along the way. There are even times that whether your character fulfilled his goal or not becomes not important, compared to the great changes he underwent in order to reach that goal. After all his goal (his motivation, his "dramatic need") may even change along the way.

I don't know if this answers your question. :confused:

Futhark

Inkling
It's for more mature readers. It has a realistic tone, a little grim and gritty. The characters make plenty of mistakes, usually due to pride, arrogance, ambition, honour, anxiety and necessity. I was going to start them as about 16, just beginning their next phase of training, but now I'm thinking about 5 years later, as they begin their real work. This will provide an environment older readers can identify with, with bosses, irritating co-workers, bureaucracy, etc.

Futhark

Inkling
I forgot to add ignorance as a cause of mistakes. I am always forgetting the characters don't know as much about how their world works as I do, something I will have to watch very carefully.

Twinss Risen

Dreamer
Oooh nice!

From what you wrote, I see the characters being developed alright (I assume you've already thought of their background stories, even childhood and such, and how some of their experiences influenced their development- you can also play the "backstory" card in future chapters and so on).

The only thing you need to be careful of, is not to make the characters unlikable. What I mean by that is, avoid putting more cons than pros to them. It's understandable that they have their weaknesses and such, but if their weaknesses are more than their strengths, your readers might dislike him/her, instead of liking him/her.
And another thing to be aware of, is to not make your characters similar to each other. You might have thought of the backstory of all your main characters but can you explain their characters with 3-4 words? For example, if you met one of them in real life, what opinion would they make to you? What kind of adjectives would you use?

Lastly, another thing that might help you in making your readers identify to your characters is simply... making them realistic. I'm not talking just about their weaknesses, but also their fears. A fearless character who always triumphs in the end can be the most boring character of the world (unless you were heading for comedy; and even then, you'd have to occupy your character with all kinds of trouble). Basically, sometimes you really don't need much to make your readers identify with the characters; but a simple dose of reality in them.
Fear of failing to reach their standards, or to reach other people's standards, or to lose their job, their friends, their lover and whatnot. I honestly believe many people will easily identify with someone who has similar fears to them, even if the character's personality is completely different from their own. Take as an example when there are physical destructions in the world and how people are brought together by them. I remember a photograph I had seen many years ago, when there was a strong earthquake to my hometown. The photograph depicted an old man giving a cigarette to a transsexual woman. Two completely different people who would, under no other circumstances be together with one another; at that point they helped each other, even with such a small act of kindness. What brought them together was fear. When you are afraid, you really need to connect with other people.

This is my personal opinion of course, but in a story like yours (realistic tone, a little grim and gritty) I believe the characters' fear would play nicely into the story, and it would also help with making the readers identify with them.

Futhark

Inkling
Great advice Twinss. I have given a lot of thought to their back stories, their strengths and weakness, their fears and personality defects, but I have never sat down and seriously thought about what makes them likeable. Very thought provoking, thanks heaps.

Ronald T.

Troubadour
Hey, Futhark!

Based on your avatar and the name you use, (the first six letters of the Runic alphabet) I suspect that northern mythology and Runes are of great interest to you. I share that interest, and have for more than forty years. For a few years I even had a "Futhark" license plate on my older pickup. I also read Runic divination layouts for people back in the eighties and nineties. And my recent e-book deals with that subject at the heart of the story. My library is filled with runic resources and books on northern mythology. At times, it seems I can't get enough of those topics.

In fact, back in the seventies through the nineties, there were very few questions someone might ask me about the northern myths and the history of Runes that I couldn't answer. I even considered teaching classes on those subjects at our local junior college. But I was too busy trying to make a living, and it's amazing how the years slip away.

From what you've said of your story, and from all the great advice on this thread, I can't imagine you won't do well in sorting out the information you're seeking within your original question about how much importance to place on character development and when it should take place.

In my own writing, I find it's a constant balancing act regulated by my instincts and my deep knowledge of the story. You are the master of your story. Even so, always remember to listen to your beta readers, but without letting them destroy your true vision. Listen with the caveat that when all their opinions vary greatly, you're probably doing things just right. However, if the same issue is reported a multiple of times, you still have work to do.

It's like the old joke: "If one person says you look sick, ignore them. But if ten people tell you that you look sick, you should probably go see your doctor."

All my best to you and yours, and may the path of your writing journey be smooth and straight.

Last edited:

Futhark

Inkling
Spot on with the Futhark reference. I like all mythology and while my WI (Almost) P has a strong eastern influence with kami and chi in my personal life I try to pay homage to my roots. I have a green man tattoo on my forearm with a knotty beard and all. I don't get people who put Chinese characters on their bodies that don't read chinese, understand the culture etc,. Anyway, little rant over, thanks for all the great input. I have a thread over in brainstorming and planning that I will keep updating so pop over there and check out all my half baked ideas.
That's all folks.