• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What Are You Playing Now?

I recently finished Uncharted: A Thief's End, wrapping up the whole series. Really loved the series, and Thief's End was great.

Last few days, I've been playing Horizon Zero Dawn. Loving it too. Its gameplay feels like a cross between Far Cry 4 (loved it), Far Cry Primal (liked it, but got bored eventually), and maybe a little of Skyrim (liked it, but got bored with it.)

The exploration aspect in Horizon Zero Dawn feels a lot like my very first days ever playing WoW so long ago—a feeling I've been trying to rediscover.

tbaron

Acolyte
I am playing the old snes game gemfire. It is a great conquest game with mages, dragons, and monsters. I get lost for hours playing this game.

Mythopoet

Auror
I'm SOOOOOO happy to be back playing The Lord of the Rings Online. I stopped for a long time because my husband was bored with it and we play MMOs together. It's just not as fun alone. But now he's interested again and I'm loving it! LOTRO is the MMO after my own heart.

Gurkhal

Auror
Commander: The Great War - And on a bonus side I've finally managed to figure out how to keep Russia in the war without it being steam rolled by the Germans and Habsburg troops.

The way things are going I feel that Britain is the one coming with all the expensive toys like tanks, aircraft and such, the Russians just hold the positions and tie down Central Powers troops while the French are doing the actual work of winning the war on the ground and driving into Germany. The Belgians and Italians pull in some too but on a secondary level.

I do wonder if the Bulgarians will be suicidal to join the war with Entante troops across the Rhine and in Munich while the Italians have liberated the Balkans? But it might be scripted so I don't see it as unlikely that they will join in.

EDITED: And now the Habsburgs have surrendered and thus its essentially only to crush Germany and march with my army with its air cover up the coast and finish off the Ottomans as well. Things are going great.

Last edited:

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Tomb Raider, Shadow of. This one's much the same as previous, yet feels more gruesome somehow. Visually gorgeous, though. Balanced gameplay, which my diminished response times much appreciate.

Gurkhal

Auror
Having finished a campaign in the Commander: Great War I turn to an age old classic. Age of Wonders I. Its been some time, in fact alot of time, but I feel that I should finally finish this little classic and get it done. Plus I haven't played a classical fantasy game in a while.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Looks good. I don't play on Steam but this one tempts me. Brings back fond memories of the old Avalon Hill board game, 1914. Played the heck out of that.

Gurkhal

Auror
Never played Avalon's "1914" but I can recommend C:TGR.

Its lean more towards simplicity than being very complex so you can learn it fairly fast and from my experience its also very fun and fighting the war from 1914 and onwards does not take weeks but can probably be done in about ten hours or so in total. But I haven't clocked the timer on this or made notes. Still its a bit complex so that the nuances of the Great War don't get lost.

The only critical remarks I can make is that infantry is probably a bit to powerful as you can, or at least I could with the Entante, win the war with limited investment into artillery and while I compensated with a powerful air force that let me rule the skies, I don't think they provided as critical support as artillery would have done. So in the end it was mostly unsupported infantry that won the war. This could of course be me playing with the Entante and so with large manpower reserves but, yeah, infantry might be a bit to powerful without proper support from artillery.

And on a personal note, as a cavalry fan, finding uses for cavalry was of course pretty fun. I made some memorable raids into enemy territory or around flanks to attack aircraft and artillery or finish or retreating infantry. At time it went south and the cavalry was wiped out but more often the cavalry took a battering before they retreated behind friendly infantry and reinforced for the next charge.

Gurkhal

Auror
Playing Crusader Kings 2 and going with Asturias. So far its been a bunch of fails to play with this kingdom but I'm hoping for a change somehow.

Gurkhal

Auror
Finished the old classic, at least for me, "Return to Castle Wolfenstein" the other day. Damn, that game was scary, and I remember that when I was a kid I could only play like a single room at a time. Good stuff. :)

TheKillerBs

Maester
Earliest in AD 769, I think it is. The Franks normally fall into civil wars and fracture while the Lombards content themselves with civil wars. So little help to be gained by my co-religionists across the mountains :(
Oh yeah. Only way to survive as Asturias in the Charlemagne start date is for Charlie to create Francia or the HRE before dying and for the Karlings to push deep into Umayyad territory or hope the Umayyad sultan becomes an emperor quick enough for you to be able to swear fealty to him.

Gurkhal

Auror
Oh yeah. Only way to survive as Asturias in the Charlemagne start date is for Charlie to create Francia or the HRE before dying and for the Karlings to push deep into Umayyad territory or hope the Umayyad sultan becomes an emperor quick enough for you to be able to swear fealty to him.

Well, paying fealty to Carolingians or Umayyads may save the dynasty but it don't save the kingdom. Instead you've got to hold on and wait for either a Crusade, the foundation of Catholic holy orders or a miracle, to allow the Reconquista. And fight off waves of warmongering emirs on the border. So far I've seen one miracle in my games.Umayyads were overtaken by Abbasids and then the Sunni in Iberia splintered into several taifas that allowed me to take over many provinces. Although with French and Italians also working their way into Iberia the time of troubles are far from over.

I suppose you could also convert to Sunni without joining the Umayyads and so preserve the kingdom that way.

TheKillerBs

Maester
Well, paying fealty to Carolingians or Umayyads may save the dynasty but it don't save the kingdom. Instead you've got to hold on and wait for either a Crusade, the foundation of Catholic holy orders or a miracle, to allow the Reconquista. And fight off waves of warmongering emirs on the border. So far I've seen one miracle in my games.Umayyads were overtaken by Abbasids and then the Sunni in Iberia splintered into several taifas that allowed me to take over many provinces. Although with French and Italians also working their way into Iberia the time of troubles are far from over.

I suppose you could also convert to Sunni without joining the Umayyads and so preserve the kingdom that way.
Er, it does if you wait for the Umayyads to become Hispania, though it might be difficult since the AI doesn't seem to form titular kingdoms to cheese the requirements. You'll be a vassal king of the Empire of Hispania. I think to pay fealty to the Carolingians these days you have to border them (in which case you probably don't need to pay fealty to them, since that means you've managed to take Navarra and take the fight to the Umayyads or the Carolingians have formed Francia or the HRE and they have the Umayyads against the ropes) so you're much better served allying with them instead.

ETA: Converting to Sunni won't put you out of harm's way. The Muslims get plenty of CBs against other Muslims, though it will make you less of an inviting target when the Umayyads need to win holy wars to avoid a decadence revolt.

Last edited:

Gurkhal

Auror
Er, it does if you wait for the Umayyads to become Hispania, though it might be difficult since the AI doesn't seem to form titular kingdoms to cheese the requirements. You'll be a vassal king of the Empire of Hispania. I think to pay fealty to the Carolingians these days you have to border them (in which case you probably don't need to pay fealty to them, since that means you've managed to take Navarra and take the fight to the Umayyads or the Carolingians have formed Francia or the HRE and they have the Umayyads against the ropes) so you're much better served allying with them instead.

ETA: Converting to Sunni won't put you out of harm's way. The Muslims get plenty of CBs against other Muslims, though it will make you less of an inviting target when the Umayyads need to win holy wars to avoid a decadence revolt.

I'm more worried about religious revocation of titles by the Umayyad ruler than anything if I should swear fealty. But like I said, in my games the Carolingians usually fracture themselves to hell and over the top of the world, so its me and the Celts in Brittany who goes to fight the Umayyads.

True that converting to Sunni won't be a failsafe but I figured it would put me out of way for waves of holy wars by various emirs. And the wars to lower decadence, as you mentioned.