1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

What Are You Playing Now?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Philip Overby, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Svrtnsse

Svrtnsse Staff Article Team

I'm playing Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. It's different, but very good. There's no in-game UI, but there are voices in your head constantly talking, and sometimes the things they say are actually helpful advice, and other times it's just nonsense.

2. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

When I'm done here, I'm gonna go play Peggle.

Yeah, Peggle. So?

Svrtnsse likes this.
  3. X Equestris

X Equestris Maester

Dipped my toes into Empire Total War's grand campaign today; I've done the Road to Independence tutorial, the late start United States campaign, and the Warpath campaign, but I've never played the real one.

Settled on Prussia, since it looks like an enjoyable challenge. Only two territories, cut off from each other, with two much larger powers on my east and south and all their protectorates on my west.

Austria attacked by turn 4, but they were foolish enough to go after Poland-Lithuania too. I repulsed a small invasion force, and an alliance with the Poles allowed me to invade Silesia. Things are going much better than expected.

4. FifthView

FifthView Istar

I made the horrible mistake of trying out Conan Exiles on PS4. It was one of the free PS Plus games a couple or so months ago. I'd downloaded it at the time then ignored it.

But now I'm hooked! Basically, imagine Minecraft but gritty. It's a survival game, with lots of collecting of resources and building. The world, the struggle, the art, are more interesting than Minecraft's.

There are some cons. You are basically thrown into the game without any sort of tutorial, so you need to Google various aspects of the game to learn how to do things and make things. There's a lot of resource collecting; a number of things require an inordinate amount of resources to build. You also end up having to build a number of things just to build something else later. So the progress seems slow. It's a time killer, for sure. But I'm pretty hooked. (I play the single player version, not the online MMO version.)

5. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

I have to put in a plug for FFXIV. The recent expansion Shadowbringers dropped and so I returned after a hiatus due to busy life. I've always thought that the writing/storytelling in this game is better than any other MMO I've played and previous expansions were all very enjoyable and compelling with their story. But this expansion's story line... it just completely blew me away. The story was SO GOOD I would just be sitting here with my jaw dropped and chills going up and down my spine in many of the scenes. The major villain of the expansion was so well written I can't even.... He was easily the best example of a villain made sympathetic in his motivations but NOT justified in his actions that I've ever experienced. All of the character development in this expansion including the development of the player character was just stellar. I HIGHLY recommend this game to anyone who loves good game storytelling.

6. The only game I have made time for of late is an ongoing RPG campaign with a party set in Monte Cook's Numenera system. It's been years since I've played anything online or looked into actual video games. They just seemed to gobble my time like mad! I turned to roleplaying with a group and we always play in person, once, maybe twice a month and that works well for my game fix for now. :)

FifthView likes this.
  7. Jun Peng

Jun Peng Dreamer

I can't stop playing Darksouls. At first I thought the game was too hard, or not fair, but one day in Anor Londo it just started clicking and next thing I knew I was hooked. I've tried playing other games, but I always end up finding myself back in those haunted lands trying new things and gearing up for invasions.

8. ifearsnowmen

ifearsnowmen New Member

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning for the PS3. I've played through it several times now and it's a great experience each time. The very definition of a hidden gem. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys fantasy games.

9. Orc Knight

Orc Knight Maester

I got that one because it looked like something I'd like. I liked it, then Ellen on Outside Xbox recommended it too. Agreed completely. Though I mostly like screwing with the stories in it.

10. Yora

Yora Sage

I just finished completing Dark Souls 3. Now I am trying to complete Bloodborne.

One thing I really enjoy about them is how they give you interesting new perspectives of how a fantasy world can be, even with just generic components.

Sheilawisz likes this.
  11. Jun Peng

Jun Peng Dreamer

I love the aspects that Darksouls brings to Fantasy worlds. I especially love the themes it explores. From the visions of Aldritch to the fate of the Watchers of the Abyss, even the conclusion to Slave Knight Gael, Darksouls presses very difficult issues and never gives you a chance to really be a hero. That to me is amazing.

Sheilawisz likes this.
  12. Gurkhal

Gurkhal Archmage

Just played through the Dark Omen map in the Winds of Magic expansion to Vermintide 2. And damn, that was a blast! My and my friend had a merry time cutting down rat-, north- and beastmen by the dozens. :D

And for your information, a halberd may not look like much. But its a wonderful weapon.

Sheilawisz likes this.