1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

What Are You Playing Now?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Philip Overby, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Sheilawisz

Sheilawisz Queen of Titania Moderator

I love all of Westminster! It's not only the wealthiest and prettiest area of Syndicate's London, but also it features the greatest historical importance and I can climb Victoria Tower and the freaking Big Ben. That little park below Big Ben is one of my favorite areas in particular, and sunsets are often totally wonderful there.

Visiting the cloister of Westminster Abbey is one of my favorite side activities as well, and the parks! I love Saint James Park and Green Park too, they are super beautiful especially at daybreak.

I just complete the missions as fast as possible, often by sheer brutal force alone even when it's not necessary, and collect the rewards. I really don't give a damn about the main story, since in my imagination Evie and Jacob are just a pair of bloodthirsty maniacs that want to take over London for their own personal criminal activities and gains.

My greatest enjoyment in Syndicate comes from free exploration and the constant murdering of Blighters, Police officers, the Grays (I am not exactly sure of what they are!) innocent civilians and the Queen's Guards alike, all have to suffer Evie's wrath! I love throwing dynamite around, and I also kidnap enemies in order to drown them at Saint James Lake.

Sometimes, even Rooks fall as fatal victims of Evie's constant atrocities.

Oh, and carriage madness... This is the best game ever!

A tough call indeed! According to real world sources, the very top of Saint Paul Cathedral hits 111 meters above the streets, while the top of Victoria Tower's spire scores a bit over 120 meters tall. This would mean that Victoria Tower is the highest point of Syndicate's London, but there are terrain factors involved too so in the end I do not know exactly.

I'll have to check with Google Earth altitude measurements.

One thing is certain: Visiting the higher parts of Victoria Tower gives me some vertigo for real, and if a Leap of Faith was possible from the very top it would be a hell of a jump!

AC Syndicate is really a great game.

Reaver likes this.
  2. Sheilawisz

Sheilawisz Queen of Titania Moderator

This is Evie Frye Pure Evil Chapter 2!

My favourite chapter of the series so far, but Chapter 1 is great too and perhaps the best way to start watching my AC Syndicate videos. You can find a lot of other Gameplay videos of mine, in my channel.

Subscribe to my channel, and I'll subscribe to yours! XD

FifthView and Reaver like this.
  3. Zander Willmore

Zander Willmore Minstrel

I am going old school on a couple of games. Final Fantasy 3 on Snes and Baldur's gate on the pc. I found an updated version that will work on windows 10. I am loving this game. I dont have a dnd group anymore so playing on the pc is the next best thing.

Sheilawisz likes this.
  4. Orc Knight

Orc Knight Archmage

I've been playing The Outer World's quite a bit lately, just enjoying the insanity of the game.

Sheilawisz and skip.knox like this.
  5. Yora

Yora Inkling

I played Hellgate this week. That was a really well done little experience. Gave me piles of additional ideas to flesh out the supernatural elements in my worldbuilding.

Sheilawisz likes this.
  6. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

Outer Worlds here, too. Great Fallout vibe without being too much like that game. Nice break from Borderlands3. Have given up on Red Dead. It just didn't engage me somehow, for all that I can see it's a good game.

Sheilawisz likes this.
  7. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

Postscript on Outer Worlds, I'm loving all the sly references within the game. I've spotted nods to Borderlands and to at least two SF authors. One expedition is called "The City and the Stars" and there's even someone named Clarke associated with it. There's another called "The Low Crusade" - an obvious callout to Poul Anderson's "The High Crusade"

And many more.

CelestialGrace likes this.
  8. CelestialGrace

CelestialGrace Minstrel

After a few months of not being able to play Terraria I'll have my PC back and will hopeully be able to pick up from where I left off. One the days when my head is noisy, focusing on my building projects helps a lot.

Sheilawisz likes this.
  9. FifthView

FifthView Istar

I'd stopped playing Hearthstone much, then Blizzard came out with the Battlegrounds for Hearthstone. At first, I thought I'd hate it. So I thought, meh, I'm kinda done with Hearthstone.

Except, I tried the battlegrounds and I loved it. To the point of being addicted to it.

Weird how something can just push that button unexpectedly.

10. Chessie2

Chessie2 Staff Article Team

Been hooked to death on ESO. My husband bought me the game for Christmas. I have a level 40 something Bosmer Nightblade and an Altmer Dragonknight in her teen levels. I'm really, really loving this game.

Steerpike likes this.
  11. Reaver

Reaver Kwisatz Haderach Moderator

Since Netflix recently adapted The Witcher into a pretty great show, I started re-playing the only good version of the video game (in my opinion, that is) The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (on my PS4) with all the available DLC and I must say that it holds up pretty well after all these years.

12. FifthView

FifthView Istar

I've had a weird relationship with the Witcher games. I have Wild Hunt and once had #1 I think, but both always bored me very, very quickly. A few hours of play was all I could manage. I've tried restarting a Wild hunt game a couple times, but it fizzles for me still. However, that was before I watched the Netflix series, which I loved, so now I might find myself liking the game. (The whole early search for Yennefer in the game meant nothing to me; now it might mean something heh.) Still, I'm not sure I'll like the game mechanics much. Plus, I have a problem enjoying open world games, sometimes, and games that can have very hard combat. (Why die repeatedly? How is that supposed to be fun?) I seem to remember always dying early in my Witcher experience—plus aimlessly wandering about in the open world, unsure of where/why to go next.

Reaver likes this.
  13. Reaver

I certainly can commiserate with you on some of this game’s issues and to be sure, open world games aren’t for everyone. That being said, I think that somewhere over the past few years there obviously have been some bug fixes and software updates (at least on the PS4) because my experience playing Wild Hunt thus far has been much better than before.

FifthView likes this.
  14. Saigonnus

Saigonnus Auror

I just finished the main story in Days Gone. I find the game lacking in few minor ways (not being able to swim, not able to stockpile molotovs, napalm or crossbow ammo) but overall, the story is very engaging, the characters are flawed yet believable and the world is interesting. Hordes are challenging, stressful, but a great addition to a zombie killing game. Some can be as large as 500 freakers.

Sheilawisz and Reaver like this.
  15. Reaver

Have you played The Last of Us yet? If you haven’t, I think you’d like this game. The sequel just came out and it’s pretty great.

Saigonnus likes this.
  16. Dragons Forever

Dragons Forever New Member

Just finished the remake of Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap, awesome game.
    It was one of the first video games I ever played (way back on Game Gear!).
    The soundtrack alone is worth the price of the game ^^.

17. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

I play that a lot. Are you on PC or console?

18. Saigonnus

Saigonnus Auror

yes, I enjoyed it a lot despite not being that fond of zombies in general.

Reaver likes this.
  19. Yora

Yora Inkling

I am continuing my last run of Baldur's Gate after a 12 months break. Man, this game is looong... Even when you already completed it six times, you can still put 100 hours into it to make it to the end.
    Being 21 years old and based on 2nd Edition AD&D, the game is also clunky as hell. What I really want to play is the second game, which I think I finished only twice. Once when it came out in 2000, and once again when the expansion came out in 2001. and Because of that, I played the expansion of the second game only once, over 18 years ago.

Since Baldur's Gate was what got me into fantasy (reading Lord of the Rings was okay but had not made me pick up anything similar) and it just gotten 20 years old last winter, I wanted to play through the whole thing one more time. Now I am back on the horse and progress is looking good. Only the big expansion dungeon left (which will probably take a while) and then it's only the endgame left. I finally have all the side content done.

20. MrNybble

MrNybble Troubadour

Some Minecraft, Mudrunner, and Monster Hunter World.