• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Democracy in the Middle Ages

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I asked people to move the discussion over to Chit Chat, then I realized that I'm people, too. So here I am.

The secondary discussion I saw here was more general than strict democracy. It had more to do with how much power people had back then versus nowadays. I'll let others talk about modern times because I'm no student of modern times.

As for power in the MA, well, it varied. Wildly. At the most local level we talk about power within and among families. there were laws in various places and times that buttressed those relationships.

At the level of the village there were both formal and information institutions. I wouldn't say there's anything I'd call a democracy, but important families in a village had a fairly significant say in purely local matters, mainly because the more distant powers so rarely came around.

Then we come to local rulers--chieftains and barons of various titles, but we cannot overlook the authority of bishops and abbots. Both were in theory elected by their members--the cathedral clergy in the case of the former, the monks in the latter case. Many times this was done with the local baron having significant influence in the choice--a key point of contention in church-state conflicts. The authority held by these local powers again varied by time and place, but barons (I use the term to cover any vested lord who did not have vassals) were certainly not elected. Their powers were conditioned by powers reserved to their overlords and also by local custom, which could exert strong influence. But the peasants under this lord could do no more than petition and hope. Or rebel, which did happen, though almost never with the intent to overthrow or even to reform. Most such rebellions were driven by famine or overtaxation and their rallying cry was a return to some previous order.

Among the greater nobles the situation was much the same, with interesting wrinkles. A powerful duke or count might appear to wield much more power. They could raise armies, collect fines, raise what we somewhat inaccurately call taxes, administer capital justice. At the same time, though, their obligations and commitments were greater. Here we see the limitations of power--communications, finances, and mobility all severely limited how much power a great lord could actually wield. Once again, however, none of these were elected. In fact, principles of inheritance were perhaps strongest here. And popular rebellions were rarely aimed at this target.

With kings and emperors, the above is redoubled. The variations are still greater, the exceptions still more frequent, the limitations sometimes even more striking. Emperors, for example, were elected--not by the general population, but by a handful of great lords. At the same time, there was still a tradition of the ancient Roman acclamatio, and in any case most emperors weren't that until the pope crowned them--a slippery bit of negotiation at times. Hugh Capet was chosen by his barons, but heredity quickly took over in France. The nobles of Poland sometimes chose their king.

The practical limitations on royal power were many. One of my favorite illustrations of this is the circle of power that followed the English kings. This practice was established during the Plantagenets. It held that when the king traveled, royal power was asserted around his person for a radius of twelve miles. Within that radius, local law was overruled, local courts superseded. Any crimes committed went immediately to royal judges, and the king could requisition directly within that space without needing to resort to asking for donations.

So royal reach extended, essentially, one day out. Beyond that reach lay a tangled jungle of baronial privilege and local customs that no king could completely ignore. It was the clearing of that jungle that really characterizes absolute monarchies, and even then they only claimed to have absolute power. In practice they were still limited by the above-mentioned communications, travel, and finance. But they claimed absolute power whereas medieval kings accepted the weight of custom. The was a time in the central Middle Ages when at least some coronation oaths included the proviso that the king would introduce no new laws. Custom was the true king.

Then we come to the city-states of Europe. And we've not considered the many centuries and places where there were either no kings, only tribal chieftains, or there were chiefs who some chronicler named king. In none of these cases can we speak of democracy, but we can point to a greater level of direct participation. The election process in some of the late medieval Italian cities was a marvel of complexity, combining voting with drawing lots.

Anyway, there's a quick sketch, as best as I can manage.

The election process in some of the late medieval Italian cities was a marvel of complexity, combining voting with drawing lots.

Skip, I don't expect you to spend your own time elaborating, but would be ever so grateful if you point me to a source/sources I can read more about this? It is completely unknown to me and a fascinating detail/process I would love to learn more about.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
No problem. The most elaborate (and fun) example is surely Venice, which had an incredibly convoluted system. This essay
https://www.apec.umn.edu/sites/apec.umn.edu/files/64-majority-rule-in-ducal-venice.pdf
does a good job in covering it, but adds an interesting mathematical analysis by which they argue that the Venetian system was not only complex, it was perhaps nearly perfect. If you're math-comfy, you might enjoy that, but you can also skip over that part. There's a bibliography at the end that includes the better historians of Venice, such as Lane and Norwich.

The short version is this: when a doge of Venice died, the Great Council chose a committee. This committee selected a sub-committee by lot. That sub-committee then nominated a larger body. This was repeated ... twice more, I think. At every stage, they made sure no two members of the same family were in the chosen group. The process ends up with forty-one men selected one from among themselves as the next doge.

It's also worth stating that many towns had multi-stage elections. Our brand of one-person, one-vote would have seemed pure nonsense to them.

It's also perhaps worth saying that the word electio simply means to choose, to select out from. That's certainly the way the word was meant in the Middle Ages.

Aldarion

Archmage
I will butt in with Byzantine Empire because that is what I have studied...

In theory, Byzantine Empire was an absolute monarchy. Emperor and the imperial idea held absolute dominance; Emperor was anointed by God, and thus had divine authority which could not be legally or legitimely challenged, and there was no greater authority or idea to which the Emperor submitted.

In reality, Byzantine political system was, even in terms of ideology, a complex interplay of Roman secular republicanism, early imperial "principalism" and late Roman and eventually Christian metaphysical monarchism. Emperor may have been blessed by God, but he was ultimately responsible to the res publica, the will of the people who were nominally his subjects.

Middle Byzantine Empire was the ultimate in Byzantine republicanism. As I mentioned before, democracy is all about decentralization of power. If decision-making power is centralized, you lose democracy; if it is decentralized, you gain democracy. This is a slider, however, not a binary system. It goes from centralist extreme of absolutist tyranny and absolute monarchy, crossing over non-absolute monarchy and representative republic, into decentralized extreme of direct democracy. To order main systems from least to most democratic:
  1. Absolute monarchy - this is a system in which ruler has theoretically unlimited power. He is the god and the stick, as we say in Croatia; nobody can legally countermand him. But as French monarchs discovered, this system is highly unstable: it essentially excludes all other interest groups and centres of power from ruling, and thus cannot last long. It is only possible with support of professional state military apparatus.
  2. Aristocratic monarchy - your typical feudal monarchy. Monarch is on the top of the pyramid, but he depends on support of the aristocracy (in aristocratic monarchy) or else the rich people (in oligarchic monarchy).
  3. Aristocratic republic - I am also including oligarchic republic here. You have republic, the rule of the people, but "people" here is confined exclusively to rich folk. They call the shots, they make decisions. Roman Republic and Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth are example here.
  4. Monarchist republic - this is the system of Byzantine Empire, Middle Empire in particular. You have the Emperor, and the people. Unlike in aristocratic monarchy, where only the rich can influence the monarch, in monarchist republic you have a wide number of interest groups: aristocrats, traders, common people, soldierly etc. As a result, while lip service may be paid to the monarch, power is extremely decentralized.
  5. Democratic republic - this is the typical system nowadays. People exercise their power through representative bodies, but said bodies are also influenced by non-democratic interest groups (oligarchs, plutocrats, etc.) as well as spectres of direct democracy (referendums), meaning that in practice such republic may dance through whole democratic spectrum.
  6. Direct democracy - this is what Ancient Athens had, albeit in a relatively limited form. Basically, people make decisions directly, with no representative bodies at all.
As I have noted, Byzantine Empire was a Monarchist Republic. Emperor held theoretically absolute power. However, in practice, his power was limited by a wide range of interest groups. One group were the rich (dynatoi), which included officials of imperial administration, aristocracy of the capital (which heavily overlapped with the former), provincial aristocracy (including the military aristocracy, particularly prominent in Middle Byzantine period), rich commoners and the Church officials. This is the group which most often appears in historic accounts. Second group were the common folk, the peasants and small landowners, which in term of Imperial politics could be divided into two subgroups: the populace of the capital, and the provincial population. People of the capital could easily and directly influence imperial politics, either by demonstrations, rebellions or the coups. People of the provinces however required a middleman to do so, and said middle-man came in the form of the third group: small landowners of thematic army. Thematic soldiers and officers were drawn from the local population, and were given lands - according to what their duties required - in provinces. As such, they were very sensitive to feelings and needs of provincial population. End result was that thematic armies came to serve as expression of provincial political opinions: when a thematic army marched on the capital, this was only very rarely an expression of single general's ambition; more often, greater interests were at play. As such, civil wars were not an aberration or a malfunction of Byzantine political system: they were in fact integral to it, and served as a medium through which interests of provincial populace (peasants and gentry) were expressed.

This even had ideological basis. Res publica - or politeia as called in Greek - was a recognized part of Byzantine political discourse as much as it already was a part of reality, though higher classes did like to pretend it did not exist or was else an aberration. Politeia was a conceptual space which encompassed both the Emperor and the people. It meant the community, but also the republic - people as a sovereign political body.

Because of all this, no Emperor could sleep peacefully. There was no sense of dynastic legitimacy, at least not up until 10th/11th centuries or so - and even then, and Emperor could be easily overthrown if he underperformed, as happened to about 20 emperors (of course, there were other reasons beyond underperformance). Of course, that did not mean that competent emperors were safe either, nor were the elected emperors safe: Andronikos I Komnenos was overthrown on the account of his cruelty, even though his ideas were rather good, as measures he took alienated his supporters. What makes it ironic is that he first ascended to the throne on a wave of anti-Latin sentiment. Isaac II Angelos also ascended to the throne on support of the people, but proved little better.

Now a look at statistics:
Statistics of Byzantine Reigns
  • 94 emperors in total
  • democratically elected emperors: 25
    • 4 emperors were elected by the people, the army, or both
    • 5 emperors imposed themselves by gathering popular support
    • 16 emperors ascended to the throne after large-scale popular uprising or military revolt
Personally, I seem to recall more than 25 democratically elected emperors, but whatevs.

When it comes to provincial politics, well, it depended. Cities were largely autonomous, and would often independently negotiate with invaders. Some of these cities were ruled by a council - so a republican rule - while others had a governor.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
>democracy is all about decentralization of power
So, by this definition, was 5thc Athens a democracy?

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
But Athens wasn't just Athens. It was all of Attica.

I just don't see democracy as having much to do with decentralization. By that logic, the Sorbs and Wends lived in a democracy. But perhaps we'll just have to disagree on this one. Dammit Jim, I'm a historian, not a political scientist! <g>

I just don't see democracy as having much to do with decentralization. By that logic, the Sorbs and Wends lived in a democracy. But perhaps we'll just have to disagree on this one. Dammit Jim, I'm a historian, not a political scientist! <g>
It doesn't. Decentralization has and had very little to do with democracy. One can be highly centralized and still highly democratic, although this is much more modern.

As an aside, democratization is much more of a sliding scale than it is an on or off switch. The scale is based on the powers of body politic and who is actually involved in the body politic. But, I know jack all about medieval governments so I will let y'all fight and I will learn some stuff.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Aldarion argues the same, that it's a sliding scale.

Even just saying "medieval government" leads one down wayward paths. The very notion of government was radically different from pretty much the entire vocabularly of political science, a discipline that grew up and took shape in the shadow of the nation-state. And, as I tirelessly repeat, when we say "medieval" we are talking about a thousand years and an entire continent. It's much more useful to say 12thc England or 15thc Hungary and talk about forms of government in a particular time and place. And even then, you'd be surprised at the variations.

The closest parallel I have come up with in modern times happens at a very local level. Around my community we have sewer districts and municipal jurisdictions and district courts and police jurisdictions and counties and city boundaries and water districts and voting precincts and more. All these overlap in various ways. But even that pales in comparison with the millefeuille that was medieval politics, for in modern times family connections count for much less and we don't have anything like the privileges and protections accorded the RCC. And, of course for much of Europe for several centuries, we don't really know much at all because the documents aren't there.

It's a nightmare to study, but it's also a career!

Aldarion

Archmage

It doesn't. Decentralization has and had very little to do with democracy. One can be highly centralized and still highly democratic, although this is much more modern.

As an aside, democratization is much more of a sliding scale than it is an on or off switch. The scale is based on the powers of body politic and who is actually involved in the body politic. But, I know jack all about medieval governments so I will let y'all fight and I will learn some stuff.

Actually, democracy very much is decentralization of power. Monarchy is where decisions are made by one person; oligarchy, the few; and democracy, the all. Therefore, where in autocracy the power is centralized in one person, in democracy it is decentralized to the populace as whole. Republic is the combination of three systems, where you have monarchy (the president), oligarchy (the parliament, the government, lobbyst groups) and democracy (elections, referendums) all combined into one political system. Which is the reason why it is relatively stable, with few to no violent transitions of power, even though balance of power between three systems can change within republican system (so you can have monarchist / presidental republic, oligarchic republic or democratic republic).

Highly centralized system is not democratic by its very definition. It can be a republic with pronounced oligarchic leanings, but it can not be a pure democracy (which would be number 6 in my list here).

EDIT: And yes, certain tribal organization system can be extremely democratic, far more so than modern nation-states.

Last edited:

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I've done a fair amount of work in medieval urban history. I've at least read the basic works on medieval political theory. I can't come up with any instance of anyone medieval talking about democracy. I say this merely as an observation, not as a point in an argument. I hadn't even thought about it until just now. Lots of talk about republics and monarchies, but not about democracy. Which now makes me wonder when the term really starts to surface. 18thc certainly. 17thc? Hm.

Aldarion

Archmage
I've done a fair amount of work in medieval urban history. I've at least read the basic works on medieval political theory. I can't come up with any instance of anyone medieval talking about democracy. I say this merely as an observation, not as a point in an argument. I hadn't even thought about it until just now. Lots of talk about republics and monarchies, but not about democracy. Which now makes me wonder when the term really starts to surface. 18thc certainly. 17thc? Hm.

That may be due to lack of familiarity with Ancient Greece. Most terminology was Latin; demokratia is a Greek term. Byzantines used both terms, I think; but in Europe, term res publica was generally used with no distinction between res publica and demokratia, or else res publica and politeia. In Greece, term basileia, basileios was used for monarchy - but it meant exclusively a monarch who received power from the people, legally and legitimitely; one who took the power by force was turannos. I am not certain such distinction existed in the West.

In Byzantine Empire, popular basis of Emperor's power was recognized through acclamation. Of course, fact that it was recognized does not mean it was always exercised (though you could make a case that Byzantines were more politically active than people of modern-day West), but there was no "divine right of kings" in Byzantium. Further, reassignment of power in Byzantium could be justified solely in populist terms, without invoking "divine will".

Democratic republic - this is the typical system nowadays. People exercise their power through representative bodies, but said bodies are also influenced by non-democratic interest groups (oligarchs, plutocrats, etc.)
The influence of non-democratic groups is not a trait of a democratic republic. It's common in all systems you mentioned. A monarch (of all kinds) can be easily influenced by interest groups, as can all forms of ruling bodies. And it also happens in direct democracies. Just look at all the interest groups that came out of the woodworks to influence the Brexit referendum and all the misinformation that was spread to influence.

A direct democratic process is pretty easy to influence within boundaries of reason. Just spread the correct misinformation disguised as fact and have some popular and influential people shout about it and you're good to go.

Aldarion

Archmage
The influence of non-democratic groups is not a trait of a democratic republic. It's common in all systems you mentioned. A monarch (of all kinds) can be easily influenced by interest groups, as can all forms of ruling bodies. And it also happens in direct democracies. Just look at all the interest groups that came out of the woodworks to influence the Brexit referendum and all the misinformation that was spread to influence.

A direct democratic process is pretty easy to influence within boundaries of reason. Just spread the correct misinformation disguised as fact and have some popular and influential people shout about it and you're good to go.

I am aware. Difference is that in this case, such influence is legalized/legitimized, whereas in most other systems it is extralegal.

I am aware. Difference is that in this case, such influence is legalized/legitimized, whereas in most other systems it is extralegal.
Got to disagree there. Nothing illegal in the middle ages to grease some palms and that was basically how the system operated in the Roman Empire. You needed a patron who could advocate for you in the right circles, even larger groups like cities and tribes needed patrons.

Even the example here of the Brexit referendum, the interest groups and their work was mostly legal, it was some of their funding and administration where some strayed into illegal activity.

I really struggle to come up with a time and place, other than modern democracies, where groups like rich merchants or nobles couldn't petition or even out right shower officials and rulers with gifts to get something done.

really struggle to come up with a time and place, other than modern democracies, where groups like rich merchants or nobles couldn't petition or even out right shower officials and rulers with gifts to get something done.
And even today you have it. It is just much more backdoor and hush hush. No one wants to really talk about that though.

Aldarion

Archmage
I really struggle to come up with a time and place, other than modern democracies, where groups like rich merchants or nobles couldn't petition or even out right shower officials and rulers with gifts to get something done.

I think you should include modern democracies into that group as well. Campaign donations, lobbying etc. is all perfectly legal.

Yes, there's still quite a bit of it but the most direct quid pro quo's are illegal in a modern democracy. Or at least they are illegal on paper.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
We might consider democracy in Florence, specifically the balià. In theory, all the citizens of the city gathered in the town square where they heard propositions, usually regarding war and peace. It was called once a year for swearing the town oath of citizenship, but could be called also for emergencies.

I don't call that democracy, nor have I seen it called democracy by any historian. It's about as close an example as I can think of.

Aldarion

Archmage
Yes, there's still quite a bit of it but the most direct quid pro quo's are illegal in a modern democracy. Or at least they are illegal on paper.

And that I think is the heart of the issue. I personally do not care what s "on paper", what matters are the processes going on within the political system.