• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Quick question

MiaC

Troubadour
So, I'm not sure if this is even the right side to be on to ask this but the main reason im here is to get a review and critique on parts of my book. I'm writing my first book, it's fantasy and I'm trying to find out if my writing is any good. Am I in the right place?

Chasejxyz

Inkling
Generally in any writing community, you need to take part in some way instead of asking for critiques and not giving anything back yourself. You should look at what other people have requested and the kind of feedback they got and if that's what you're looking for. When you say you want to know if your writing is good, what exactly are you looking for? Things like style/voice is entirely subjective (like I cannot STAND Jane Austen or Lord of the Rings, but that doesn't make them bad, it just means it doesn't jive with me), along with what is "too cliche"/too predictable/90% of the things you see on cinema sins. Grammar can be kinda subjective, too, since a lot of it can be linked to style, but the basics are pretty consistent. But things like pacing/character arcs/plot in general usually requires someone to read multiple chapters, if not the whole draft, to give you feedback on that sort of stuff.

Lynea

Sage
You are most definitely in the right place! You have to participate in the forum a little bit before being able to access the critique section, so go on in and start commenting on some topics you like. :) Make an introduction or ask some questions.

Hope you have fun!

MiaC

Troubadour
Generally in any writing community, you need to take part in some way instead of asking for critiques and not giving anything back yourself. You should look at what other people have requested and the kind of feedback they got and if that's what you're looking for. When you say you want to know if your writing is good, what exactly are you looking for? Things like style/voice is entirely subjective (like I cannot STAND Jane Austen or Lord of the Rings, but that doesn't make them bad, it just means it doesn't jive with me), along with what is "too cliche"/too predictable/90% of the things you see on cinema sins. Grammar can be kinda subjective, too, since a lot of it can be linked to style, but the basics are pretty consistent. But things like pacing/character arcs/plot in general usually requires someone to read multiple chapters, if not the whole draft, to give you feedback on that sort of stuff.

Mainly just structure, if it flows well together and its easy to read and follow. Also, if it's intriguing and makes the reader want to read more.

MiaC

Troubadour
You are most definitely in the right place! You have to participate in the forum a little bit before being able to access the critique section, so go on in and start commenting on some topics you like. :) Make an introduction or ask some questions.

Hope you have fun!

Thank you :)