• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fan Fiction v. Copyright

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Ravana:

Those are good points, and there are a lot of people on both sides of Fair Use who would like a more well-defined and predictable test. There are a few reasons why the Fair Use statute is interpreted the way it is:

1. There is a Canon of statutory interpretation that says a court should assume the legislature chose its words with care (anyone who has been around a legislature knows this isn't always true), and that no words in a statute should be rendered superfluous. So if the words "such as" are there, for example, a court should give them meaning. Of course, there are Canons of interpretation for just about any result you like;

2. Fair Use is a doctrine that was actually created by the courts, and the legislature finally got around to codifying it. When they did, they said they didn't intend to narrow or expand the judicial doctrine, and so courts have a lot of judicial precedent to look at in addition to the wording of the statute; and

3. If you look at the legislative history surrounding the Fair Use statute, you'll see statements by legislators that the listing was not intended to be exhaustive. They specifically rejected a bright-line boundary for Fair Use.

When you get into things like parody and satire, you've got First Amendment issues as well, and, hypothetically, if you had an exhaustive statutory list that didn't include them these types of works could still be protected.

The above all assumes the fanfic is infringing some copyright to begin with. Not all characters are subject to copyright protection, and the extent to which they are protected can vary a great deal. Names aren't protected. The issue of whether a setting is protected is also fraught with uncertainty. In other words, authors tend to think there is a lot more copyright protection for these sorts of things than there is.

With respect to your analysis of the kinds of the things that are on the list, that is actually what the courts do. In fact, I think there was a Supreme Court opinion where, in dicta, the court noted that all of the things on the list shared some characteristic and provided some public good, and that things not on the list should fall into that same general category. What they basically said is that Fair Use permitted works that served "socially laudable purposes." That's open to wide-ranging interpretation, but it can be applied to fanfic.

As to the question in your footnote, cases I'm aware of that fall along these lines purport to look at all of the factors equally. They don't spend much time talking about the statutory list. They seem to assume that fanfic should be treated like any other work (in other words, as potentially Fair Use), and then go straight into the Fair Use factors - transformative or not (purpose and characters; which can be a big one); nature of copyrighted work; amount of the work used; effect on market for original work.

There isn't a lot of guidance out there, but it looks like courts generally assume fanfic and related works are perfectly capable of falling under the Fair Use statute, and so they just launch into the factors. If the work is transformative, that seems to be important and that's where you arguably start getting closer to First Amendment protections as well, because a transformative work may very well serve the purpose of providing social commentary on the original work itself.

What is really going to be interesting is if the courts ever clarify the extent to which characters, settings, and so on are even subject to copyright law. Like I said, above, that is largely an open question. I think there is little doubt that if you create a quick-witted thief named Hands, and I read your book and say "Oh, that's cool, I'm going to use a quick-witted thief named Hands," there is little or nothing in the way of copyright stopping me from doing so. On the other hand, if you flat-out copy a character like Harry Potter, who has been well-developed over a series of books and movies, you've got a copyright problem (and let's not even get into the trademark issue). Where the line is on these things is not settled at all.

Then, to derail, you've got characters who exist in some form in the public domain. Conan, for example. There are Conan stories in the public domain in the U.S. Presumably, I can write Conan stories all day long as if I'm careful to avoid trademark problems I'm OK so long as the Conan I use is in the public domain. But, if I start using characteristics or backstory surrounding Conan which didn't appear until the later REH stories (which are not in the public domain), do I have a copyright problem? No one knows.

As a former fanfiction writer, I can see both sides of the argument. The question is: What is considered fanfiction and what's not? I ask this because in many english classes in the past, teachers have given assignments that asked to rewrite an ending or a scene or even expand on book we have just read. Is this kind of written material considered fanfiction because it is non-canon? Or not because it does not involve the 'gratification of deluded fantasies?"

To be honest, I see nothing wrong with fanfiction in the slightest, even if characters are slashed or turned into vampires. They're just for fun. In some cases, a form of therapy. At least, that is what it was for me back in my middle school days where I was labeled a "goth" and was bullied by peers for five long years. To simply immerse into a fantasy world where you already familiar with. A place you feel safe.

Sorry for all the nonsense. Yes, most fanfiction is written horribly, plots are overused, and why are those two guys kissing? But it is an outlet for certain fans to show their love for a fandom. A lot of these fans have serious dedication. Why would you snuff them out?

I don't mind people writing fanfic based on my material, or even sharing it in a closed community; I would mind it being published to the, er, public, for the reasons I already stated. (Parody is fine, of course.) It has nothing to do with the general quality of fanfic.

Ravana

Istar
Those are good points

Thank you. One does one's best. :)

The main thing I was getting at (you probably realize this, but to state it for everyone else) is that fanfic shouldn't–and from what you're saying, probably doesn't–enjoy any particular protection under Fair Use in and of itself: it's only protected to the extent any work would be protected. Am I correct in thinking this?

1. There is a Canon of statutory interpretation that says a court should assume the legislature chose its words with care (anyone who has been around a legislature knows this isn't always true), and that no words in a statute should be rendered superfluous. So if the words "such as" are there, for example, a court should give them meaning.

Such as taking the words "such as" to introduce a list of examples with relevant connections to each other. Which they mightn't be willing to buy into–but I think I'd still get them on the word "purpose," unless they wanted to hold that one superfluous. (Which is probably why linguists seldom get called to offer expert testimony on legislative language, no doubt.…)

The above all assumes the fanfic is infringing some copyright to begin with.

And of course if it isn't, then Fair Use can't apply to it. Though if it isn't, it hardly matters.

Not all characters are subject to copyright protection, and the extent to which they are protected can vary a great deal. Names aren't protected.

Just remember to call the boy Hermione and the girl Harry. Mix that up and you'll be in for a world of hurt. ;) (To be on the safe side, change the names to Herman and Harriet. That'll fix 'em, fer sure. Yep.)

Plus, as you mention later, there's trademarks, which is less likely, though hardly impossible, for us marginalized fiction authors to run afoul of. If I ever did a SF story set in a dystopia run by the McDonald's-Disney corporation, I'll be in for a world of hurt. But I'll get out of it by telling the court you said it was okay. (Kidding, of course… the dystopia will actually be run by Coca-Cola.)

They seem to assume that fanfic should be treated like any other work (in other words, as potentially Fair Use), and then go straight into the Fair Use factors - transformative or not (purpose and characters; which can be a big one); nature of copyrighted work; amount of the work used; effect on market for original work.

Right. (Though it seems kind of silly for them to put greater reliance on the apparently non-exhaustive "factors to be considered shall include" clause than on the "purposes such as" one–particularly when one considers the first item on the list of factors subsumes the list of purposes. And one would like to think that eventually the law becomes exhaustive at some point, rather than being infinitely expandable. Slippery slopes can be such a pain, can't they?)

There isn't a lot of guidance out there, but it looks like courts generally assume fanfic and related works are perfectly capable of falling under the Fair Use statute, and so they just launch into the factors. If the work is transformative, that seems to be important and that's where you arguably start getting closer to First Amendment protections as well, because a transformative work may very well serve the purpose of providing social commentary on the original work itself.

This was pretty much my understanding as well, from the few examples I've seen… in particular, it appears that judgments have often hinged on the last five words of your sentence: "on the original work itself," as they seem somewhat less sympathetic when copyrighted material is used (exclusively) to provide social commentary on something other than the original work.

Then, to derail, you've got characters who exist in some form in the public domain. Conan, for example. There are Conan stories in the public domain in the U.S. Presumably, I can write Conan stories all day long as if I'm careful to avoid trademark problems I'm OK so long as the Conan I use is in the public domain. But, if I start using characteristics or backstory surrounding Conan which didn't appear until the later REH stories (which are not in the public domain), do I have a copyright problem? No one knows.

Hmm. I'm not sure they aren't–if you're referring to the ones Howard actually wrote himself: all but one of his stories was published in 1935 or earlier… and the only one published in 1936 is definitely in public domain. (Barring anything that was not published until well after his death, at least; there are only two of these, and as far as I can tell, it isn't clear who, if anyone, holds the copyright on them.) More likely is that you might run afoul of Carter's and/or de Camp's "completions" (most of which are made up out of whole cloth); both those authors are also dead, but only comparatively recently. I presume they could copyright works based on someone else's copyrighted characters and setting–their own works would still be original [sic]–though there seems something vaguely disturbing about the notion. Since Lin Carter was such an unapologetic plagiarist, I rather hope they aren't covered, but I strongly suspect the courts would be unlikely to oblige me in this. (Nor would I expect much traction from an ipse quoque contention.… :p )

So there are a couple questions you can have a go at, whenever you get bored:

- Can someone hold copyright on a work that makes use of another author's copyrighted characters/setting?
- Can someone hold copyright on a work that makes use of another author's public-domain characters/setting?

I'm guessing both answers are "yes"–if the answer to the second is "no," I imagine it would come as a surprise to a whole bunch of authors with works based on Homer or Malory, and I can't see how the first would be "yes" but not the second.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Ravana:

Got to get to work, but a quick point on Conan and then an answer to your questions.

I don't know that any original Conan stories are still protected. Some of them may be. Anything published prior to 1923 is undoubtedly in the public domain. After that, the analysis becomes more complex, with publications dates, notice, renewals, and the like figuring into it. They may all be in the public domain, but I don't know that and as I recall the "copyright holders" (assuming there are still copyrights) consider at least some of them to be currently-protected.

Q1: If you create a work, you automatically have the copyright on it (at least in the U.S.). That would include works that have other author's characters in them. However, if the other author has copyright or trademark protection that would render your work infringing, then publishing it will still be a problem.

Q2: Yes. Again, as soon as you write it you have the copyright in it. If anyone reproduces your work, they infringe your copyright. Of course, anyone else can write their own work with those same public domain characters.

One quick note on trademarks as well - to infringe a trademark you have to use it as a trademark in a manner that is likely to cause confusion (setting aside, for a moment, famous marks). The fact that a trademark appear within your story does not automatically mean you are infringing. In most cases, if that's all your are doing there is probably no infringement.

I believe Mercedes Lackey says you can write fanfic in her world but not with her characters--you have to make up your own. I guess that's pretty fair.
I used to write Tv related fanfic for the 80's show ROBIN OF SHERWOOD, and the creator of that series was very liberal about fanfic. The only thing he asked was that you didn't make the main characters gay as that was not how he had conceived them.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I believe Mercedes Lackey says you can write fanfic in her world but not with her characters--you have to make up your own. I guess that's pretty fair.
I used to write Tv related fanfic for the 80's show ROBIN OF SHERWOOD, and the creator of that series was very liberal about fanfic. The only thing he asked was that you didn't make the main characters gay as that was not how he had conceived them.

I see those kinds of requests from authors as well. Of course, they rely on the fundamental assumption that the author has the right to make those requests in the first place. In the situation where a character is covered by copyright, it seems to me the author does have that ability. On the other hand, as discussed above there are situations where a character, setting, &c., may be subject to Fair Use or not be covered by copyright at all, in which case there is no legal authority for the author to make those restrictions. In those cases, the fanfic is operating outside of the control of the original author to begin with.

Mindfire

Istar
I see those kinds of requests from authors as well. Of course, they rely on the fundamental assumption that the author has the right to make those requests in the first place. In the situation where a character is covered by copyright, it seems to me the author does have that ability. On the other hand, as discussed above there are situations where a character, setting, &c., may be subject to Fair Use or not be covered by copyright at all, in which case there is no legal authority for the author to make those restrictions. In those cases, the fanfic is operating outside of the control of the original author to begin with.

Should fanfiction really be considered part of Fair Use? I know this is a moot question, but it seems to me as both ridiculous and unfair that slash fiction should be considered in the same category as satire and intelligent criticism.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Should fanfiction really be considered part of Fair Use? I know this is a moot question, but it seems to me as both ridiculous and unfair that slash fiction should be considered in the same category as satire and intelligent criticism.

Sure it should, if it serves those functions. For example, if the original work has a very conservative sexual theme, or approaches relationships from a socially conservative angle, 'slash' fiction could very well serve as satire or commentary on the original work.

Mindfire

Istar
Sure it should, if it serves those functions. For example, if the original work has a very conservative sexual theme, or approaches relationships from a socially conservative angle, 'slash' fiction could very well serve as satire or commentary on the original work.

Somehow I find it hard to believe that's the intent of those who write it.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Somehow I find it hard to believe that's the intent of those who write it.

It may or may not be in any given case, you I don't think you can make a blanket prohibition against Fair Use being available if the criteria are met. And then there is always the question of whether the work might serve that purpose, even if it wasn't the intent of the author.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
The big issue, if I remember right from Business Law, is whether the fan fiction in question is somehow competing with the market potential of the original work.

Harry Potter's already come up, so I'll use that example. Parts of Harry Potter are trademarked, and I don't know how that would affect it.

But people write thousands of short stories set in the Harry Potter-verse. Is it reasonable to assume that these short stories are interfering with Rowling's ability to publish Harry Potter short stories in the future? Note: It doesn't matter if it's J.K.'s intention to ever do so, so long as there's the potential.

Probably it doesn't interfere with that potential. But there might be a case if they're very high quality and popular, are sold for money, or are produced by somebody with a claim to legitimacy - like maybe one of the screenwriters from the movies.

At least, that's my understanding, based on a case study (The Barbie Doll song) in college.

Mindfire

Istar
A compromise then: allow fanfiction so long as it doesn't expressly violate the wishes of the original author. I.e., it's perfectly fine to do it, especially if you have explicit approval, but if the author says stop you have to stop or they can sue you.

I'd be quite comfortable with an arrangement like that. Fan-ficcers can carry on as the wish for the most part, and authors have a recourse if they don't want to see their precious creations butchered.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
@Mindfire - that's a potential over-extension of the author's rights. If copyright law doesn't allow the author to prohibit it, then why should you need their express permission or have to stop if they say stop?

@Devor - that is one of the Fair Use factors. It can be an important one, and different courts may give it different weight, and it may be more important in some fact scenarios than others. No single factor is dispositive, but you're right that effect on the market for the original is a big one.

Mindfire

Istar
@Mindfire - that's a potential over-extension of the author's rights. If copyright law doesn't allow the author to prohibit it, then why should you need their express permission or have to stop if they say stop?

That's just it. I think authors should be able to prohibit it. Think of it this way: fanfiction would be legal by "default" and only become otherwise when the author says enough is enough.

EDIT: However, I think an exception to this rule could be made for characters that have been established to exist in "multiverses" and that have been penned by multiple authors. For example, there are potentially infinite Marvel universes, so someone's fanfiction about Spider-Man could be countenanced because it doesn't necessarily have to butcher the original. Fanfictions using characters that are not open to multiversal interpretations should remain under the rule however.

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
That's just it. I think authors should be able to prohibit it. Think of it this way: fanfiction would be legal by "default" and only become otherwise when the author says enough is enough.

I don't agree. I like Fair Use, personally, and copyright term has already been extended way past anything envisioned when the law was first put in place. I don't think we need to hand more control over to the authors.

I don't agree. I like Fair Use, personally, and copyright term has already been extended way past anything envisioned when the law was first put in place. I don't think we need to hand more control over to the authors.

I'll definitely agree with the term of copyright being far too long, but that has nothing to do with Fair Use.

I still don't see how your average piece of fan fiction even comes close to meeting any of the Fair Use criteria. Approaching the material from a different angle (e.g. the slash-fic example you gave earlier) does not qualify as "commentary" or "satire." Satire is satire. The bounds and requirements of Fair Use have been pretty well established by case law, and fanfic does not really qualify.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
The bounds and requirements of Fair Use have been pretty well established by case law, and fanfic does not really qualify.

This is an overly broad statement, and I disagree with it on two counts: 1) a criticism of Fair Use is that it actually hasn't been well-defined. The statutory categories are non-exhaustive, and the factors and how to weight them leave a lot of room in any given case; and 2) saying fanfic can't be Fair Use seems to me to be false as a matter of law, given how courts have approached the issue.

Also, saying that approaching material from a different angle can't be commentary seems to me to be a conclusory statement that you haven't supported (and furthermore, one that I think it false on the face of it).

If you know of any case or other legal authority (at least in the U.S.) that precludes fanfic from constituting Fair Use, I'd be interesting in seeing the citation so I can read it. I'm not aware of any Circuit in the U.S. that would view it that way (in terms of an outright prohibition) but I'm open to the idea that a decision has gone that way somewhere.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Steerpike's Article said:
The Customary Use Theory posits that a use should be found to be fair if it is “within…accepted norms and customary practice.”

It's pretty hard to beat an industry norm, and it's pretty hard to argue that fan fiction isn't a norm. Unless it affects your ability to continue with your work, I don't think there's any beating it.

I can't argue in favor of every piece of fanfic ever written, but taken as a whole, I think fan fic has social value regardless of whether it is commentary or not.

Mindfire

Istar
It's pretty hard to beat an industry norm, and it's pretty hard to argue that fan fiction isn't a norm. Unless it affects your ability to continue with your work, I don't think there's any beating it.

I can't argue in favor of every piece of fanfic ever written, but taken as a whole, I think fan fic has social value regardless of whether it is commentary or not.

Social value? Come now, let's not get carried away. You're telling me that not only can I legally rip off someone else's characters and worldbuilding and crap all over them however I choose, but that this practice is somehow also noble and "socially valuable"? Really? REALLY?