• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Lone ranger

SeverinR

Vala
Was thinking Lone Ranger might be good, then I saw the trailers.

Depp as Tonto?
Really? Couldn't find a someone with more Native American actor?

Trailer doesn't really show much of his actions, but I assume he will be a typical ecsentric cross of Mr Wonka, Doc Holiday and Jack Sparrow.
I think he only got the role so as to have a named actor in the line up.

But it still might be an ok movie.

I feel I might actually look forward to "Tonto, go to town." (The same thing always happened when Tonto went to town.)

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Apparently, Depp's look in the film was inspired by this painting by Kirby Sattler:

iamcrow75procent4.jpg

SeverinR

Vala
I liked the original. I don't think Tonto ever had war paint or even face paint on.

The locomotive sliding towards them seems unreal, it seems to slide to far. I don't think trains could go that fast to push a lone locomotive that far. Now if the cars were pushing it, maybe.
It will probably be one I see on DVD.
Never saw the movie because they forced the original masked man to stop wearing his mask. (I heard I didn't miss anything.)

I heard a lot of things about this movie. That Depp really pursued this role hard and maybe even took a pay cut so that the budget could be met and the movie wouldn't be dropped by Disney in pre-production. I think I read somewhere that someone seemed to think Depp might actually be like 1/16 Native American or something. <shrugs>

Now all that hear say aside, I'm looking forward to the movie for the simple fact that I always loved the Lone Ranger character when I was little. I do think Tonto should be a little more of a serious tone and not so Jack Sparrow/Willy Wonka-ish. I love the look he's got going on though.

Reaver

Staff
Was thinking Lone Ranger might be good, then I saw the trailers.

Depp as Tonto?
Really? Couldn't find a someone with more Native American actor?

Trailer doesn't really show much of his actions, but I assume he will be a typical ecsentric cross of Mr Wonka, Doc Holiday and Jack Sparrow.

It would be great to have an actual Native American actor playing Tonto. After all, Jay Silverheels, the original Tonto, was a Native (North) American (Native Canadian?). But far be it from Disney to place a lesser known actor in such a pivotal role. Oh wait...who the hell is the guy playing the title role? Armie Hammer? Where the f**k did they find this guy? Seems pretty clear who the star of this movie will be.

SeverinR

Vala
Sadly,
It's not like the Lone Ranger is the main character.
Will probably see on video, so far doesn't seem worth the admission of a movie theater.