• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A Few Chapters too far...

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Ok...so...I have spent the past several years first writing and then rewriting 'Empire,' a multi-volume series that revolves around four principle characters and their encounters with everything from social turmoil to Lovecraftian abominations.

Finished the rough draft for book 6: 'Empire: Judgment' a couple years ago, noted that the ending left room for a seventh book, tentatively titled 'Empire: Exiles.' Had doubts about 'Exiles' right from the start:

1 - The principle bad guys 'died' in book 6 - about as much as is possible for Lovecraftian entities. A 'successor bad guy' is possible...but that'd be a different sort of tale.

2 - The characters are no longer on their original planet, let alone the empire they dwelt in, a consequence of immediate life and death decisions made in book 6.

It didn't seem like enough material to warrant a seventh volume. Figured, I'd try for a 'long build-down,' or extended epilogue, ten or twenty thousand words.

Back to the rewrite of 'Empire: Judgment.' Over eight months ago (Yes, that freaking far back), I started with the rewrite. Finished the 'as written' portion a couple weeks ago, started in on the 'build-down.' Decided it'd be seven or eight chapters, none much over 2000 words, most maybe half that.

As of last night, I'm halfway through the third chapter of the build-down - and just hit the 10,000 word mark. So much for twenty thousand words. Looks like 'Empire: Exiles,' (or maybe 'Empire: Expatriates') is back.

Again, though, it's a different sort of tale.

First, timing. The first three books in the series all had time frames of a few days. The next few books took place over spans of a few weeks to a couple months. 'Exiles,' though, spans decades, though most of the action takes place over a year, give or take.

Second, immediacy. 'Bad things' were set to happen in the prior books, unless the characters did something. (hmmm...that's actually a serious understatement, but I'll let it slide.) 'Exiles,' not so much. Make no mistake, the MC's do confront opponents and problems, but these are trivial compared to their prior ordeals (you survive encounters with Lovecraftian style eldritch entities and are still sane and physically together, everything else is kind of trivial). Mostly it's a 'travelogue' / 'life' story.

Vaporo

Inkling
Personally, I would market it separately from the main series. Adopt a slightly different naming convention for this entry to make it clear that this is meant to be an epilogue story. e.g. Call it "Empire's End" or something.