• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A Matter Of Voice

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Oh man you guys...don't make me pull out the binder. You've been warned. Reading that book might just be like taking up bulimia as a hobby...

And thanks for sharing, folks. I know we're laughing at ourselves right now, but I'd just like to point out how much we've grown, to even be able to share the beginnings of our beloved pursuit. High fives all around to anyone brave enough to laugh at their first work. There shall not be shame in acknowledging where we came from. These first works are like our werewolf battle scars--part of proving ourselves capable and earning a proper place in the pack. Some of us might be a little gnarlier than others, but if we were standing back, having a gander around the room at each other, I'd like to think we'd not look at these battle scars as, "Holy crap, dude, you got beat all to hell, didn't you?" But we'd say, "That one looks like it still smarts, friend. You must really be a survivor, to have come out of it alive. Good for you!"

Never give up, never surrender!

I'll wear every one of my scars like a badge of honor. They made me stronger (though that growth process might have been a touch slower than I would have preferred), and I'm more cunning, more clever, and more prepared than I ever was in my youth. In sticking with my werewolf image (because I can't think of any other creature right now that is proud of battle scars), I really do need a whole pack to test myself and to count on when I'm down and don't think I can get back up. And you scribes are it. You're my companions who commiserate, my feedback friends, and my amazingly talented allies (of alliteration, it appears, or maybe I just got bit earlier by Incanus' bug?).

I know this thread is about voice, but I love how it organically grew into the beginnings of our writerly voices, and then the present, where we have limitless opportunity to continue to improve our skills. I'd almost like to see a side-by-side of our first "voices" and the current example of how we use a voice in our work. I don't want to hijack the thread, but since we have some challenges in the works, I might have to take this inspiration and make a voice challenge in some similar way. Like show your first work's voice and then your current voice, and then write a short story and send them all to me in email, and I'll post them all up as entries, and members can try to guess who wrote which, based on voice alone. :) I'll have to think about that and whether it's possible.

Until then, keep owning your past and know that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. And it looks like we're all survivors, though it appears some of us had a close call or two ;)

Wolfs Rain least of my kind - YouTube