• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A question of suitability

I've been writing a scene for my novel which contains some degree of sexual inference, nothing explicit, just suggestive. Although I havn't gone out of my way to write a YA novel, many people will read it this way because of the main character being sixteen.

So I was hoping for some opinions on whether this scene seems acceptable or not, my main concern being whether people might be offended by the apparently homoerotic content.

Unassigned chapter:

"But why?" complained Alvar, "and how long for?"
"How long depends on how quickly you can master your powers," replied Leodris, "the why is a little more complex."
Alvar just couldn't accept that an oath of celibacy during his training was really neccesary. In fact if he was totally honest, he had hoped that his powers would come in useful for seducing young women.
"And thats the problem," said Leodris calmly. "You can't just use the power of glamour to harm people."
"But I don't intend to harm anyone!" exclaimed Alvar, "I mean where's the harm in spreading a little love where I can?"
"No harm you say?" Alvar became wary of the change in Leodris's tone.
"well then I think maybe its time for you to see things a little differently."

Leodris carefully removed his golden mask, and Alvar froze.

He didn't know what to expect to see under the mask but he certainly wasn't expecting the beautiful golden haired youth stood in front of him. Alvarin had never known such physical aching just from looking at someone before now, it was like the most exquisite torture. Unable to help himself Alvar reached out and gently touched Leodris's perfect face, his trembling fingers lingering for a breathtaking moment. He yearned longingly for a kiss from those delicate fresh lips as his hand drifted slowly down Leodris's chest towards...
"Enough." said Leodris gently as he replaced his mask.

"Now do you understand?" Alvar nodded shakily, he actually wanted to... He would have... The very thought of it made him feel sick. And yet under that glamour he would have done anything Leodris had wanted and more!
"Sure you can make any girl do whatever you want of them, but to do so would be cruel and manipulative." Alvar could certainly agree with that right now, if his master had been inclined to go further, well it didn't bear thinking about.

JCFarnham

Auror
I'll answer your question with another question [at least at first], how else would you demostrate the power of Leodris' glamour and simultaneously making Alvar understand? Firstly I think you should write the novel you want to, secondly just because you have a young protag doesn't mean it has to be labeled as YA, right?

I say... keep the scene. If you have to edit it out to be published [if that's your intent] then I would have a less "close-to-the-mark" scene at hand to switch in that plays much the same role as this one.

Also I just want to congratulate you on really making Leodris [and I assume the rest of your mages] stand out. That right there is a perfect reason for the masks. The more I read of this mage the more I love it aha

Honestly, have you turned on the tv lately and seen what is being produced for kids? Most of my writing I do with the intent that children could read it, but not specifically for them. What you have is just fine, get back to writing and stop worrying.

Yeah I guess I should just write and stop worrying lol, its just that I've known a few homophobes in my time who would be horrified. But then again they are usually too narrow minded to read fantasy so maybe I should just get on with it LOL.

Oh and thanks for the comments JC :)

Guy

Inkling
You will never write anything of any consequence without offending someone, so don't worry about it and tell the story you want to tell.

If you try to not offend you may sell a few books. If you aim to offend, you will sell millions. It helps if you can manage to get your book banned as well. Nothing boosts publicity and sales like a ban.

JCFarnham

Auror
Yeah I guess I should just write and stop worrying lol, its just that I've known a few homophobes in my time who would be horrified. But then again they are usually too narrow minded to read fantasy so maybe I should just get on with it LOL.

Oh and thanks for the comments JC :)

Glad to help!

Aello

Acolyte
I have to agree with sashameredith. Look at Harry Potter, for instance. Rowling didn't even mention that one of her characters was actually intended to be into their own sex until late into the series since it really had nothing to do with the plot anyways, and people found plenty of other things to be offended by in the meantime despite the series carrying a universally harmless theme of hope, love, and loyalty and not remotely of anything the offended claimed of it. And its still incredibly popular.

So I'd keep your scene just the way it is. It seems to me like a great lesson for your character to learn, and the quickest way to get him there. Not to mention pretty clever of his teacher.