• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Question about Theme

cyber

Hello,

I often encounter the advice that, when developing a main theme for a story, one should begin with a core truth and then invert it into a falsehood that the main character (MC) believes until their pivotal "ah-ha" moment.

In my novel, a key theme is "You can always find light in the darkness."

However, this theme is not explored through the MC, but rather through the initial antagonist (who ends up being the MC’s love interest). This character, a ruler grappling with anger and sadness due to a traumatic event that befell her people, embodies the theme by being consumed by darkness instead of finding light.

My questions are:
  1. Is it acceptable for the theme to primarily unfold through a character other than the first-person protagonist?
  2. Additionally, how might I effectively weave the MC into this thematic development?

Thank you in advance :)

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Hello,

I often encounter the advice that, when developing a main theme for a story, one should begin with a core truth and then invert it into a falsehood that the main character (MC) believes until their pivotal "ah-ha" moment.

In my novel, a key theme is "You can always find light in the darkness."

However, this theme is not explored through the MC, but rather through the initial antagonist (who ends up being the MC’s love interest). This character, a ruler grappling with anger and sadness due to a traumatic event that befell her people, embodies the theme by being consumed by darkness instead of finding light.

My questions are:
  1. Is it acceptable for the theme to primarily unfold through a character other than the first-person protagonist?
  2. Additionally, how might I effectively weave the MC into this thematic development?

Thank you in advance :)
I'd say, that is one method, but certainly not the only.

Sometimes its best to write the story out, discover what the themes really are, and make them stronger in the rewrite.

If you have a theme you are shooting for right out of the gate, I would expect a lot of the story has already been shaped around it. Its okay for the them to be discovered from many directions, but it should have some affect on the MC, and their story. It does not have to be a core truth that was its opposite at the beginning.

Lynea

Sage
I think it is totally acceptable. As far as MC goes, it seems like you're gearing up to make the villain an MC at some point, yes? So if you need to explore that theme through a character that fits the idea better, I'd say just go for it and don't apologize. I'm sure there are other roles your actual MC can play besides that.

cyber

I think it is totally acceptable. As far as MC goes, it seems like you're gearing up to make the villain an MC at some point, yes? So if you need to explore that theme through a character that fits the idea better, I'd say just go for it and don't apologize. I'm sure there are other roles your actual MC can play besides that.
So the closest thing I can use to compare the "villain" to is Rhys from "A Court of Thorns and Roses"
She isn't the primary villain of my story, but actively opposes the MC during the first act.

That is good advice though, thank you very much

cyber

I'd say, that is one method, but certainly not the only.

Sometimes its best to write the story out, discover what the themes really are, and make them stronger in the rewrite.

If you have a theme you are shooting for right out of the gate, I would expect a lot of the story has already been shaped around it. Its okay for the them to be discovered from many directions, but it should have some affect on the MC, and their story. It does not have to be a core truth that was its opposite at the beginning.
Good to know, I want the MC to have some agency on the theme so they don't seem bland and without a purpose but you are right, there is always other ways for the MC to affect the theme.
Thank you :)

Lynea

Sage
So the closest thing I can use to compare the "villain" to is Rhys from "A Court of Thorns and Roses"
She isn't the primary villain of my story, but actively opposes the MC during the first act.

That is good advice though, thank you very much
You're welcome. :) I know better than most how complicated it is to give your 'heroes' villain-like tropes and vice versa. I typically just pick and choose based on who will best meet a certain goal, conformity be damned.

I'd be wary of wanting to stick too close to your theme from the start - it will trammel you when you most need to be free.

Have an idea of the theme, by all means, but let the story take you where it will. I'm amazed how often I read over my books when complete and suddenly think: Aaah! So that's what it was about.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
So, you don't always have to have a theme before you start. A lot of times themes just come out of the story you tell, and you lean into them in edits.

In terms of your situation. A theme expressed through a story is like an argument you're trying to make. Is this statement "You can always find light in the darkness." true or false. Through the telling of your story you prove this. You give reasons for one to believe this statement is true. You have a character who doesn't believe this at all. Now, you need a character who does believe this, and that can be your MC.

Your MC can be the advocate for your theme. They don't have to preach about it. They just have to behave as if the statement is true and have it work for them. And in the end they win over the love interest to this way of thinking, and by proxy, win over the reader.

For example, in a battle scene, where there's death and destruction happening all around, all that the love interest sees are the atrocities and that angers her. In that same scene, your MC can point out all the people rushing in to help, pulling people from rubble, tending to the wounded, people risking their lives to save others, when they could have easily stood back safe, and said not my problem.