• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A quick rant…

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Amazon is denying my using a quote from a contest judge because it uses the word “executed” and unlike Facebook where I’ve had bizarre denials but got them overturned, Amazon seems to have NO request to override the idiotic system. The Quote:

“Eve of Snows is a supremely well-executed piece of epic fantasy.“

I am so sick of touchy automated systems.

Reactions: Fox

Stevie

Minstrel
Robot censors. Welcome to the future.

Harlan Ellison's short story, "The Executioner of Malformed Children" would probably crash the algorithm.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
The funny one I had with FB ads was when the ad was denied because of it needing to conform to advertising for alcohol laws around the world… There is zero reference to alcohol in the ad, LOL. But that took about 5 minutes to fix as it had an “if you think is in error” button.

And thinking about it, I’m sure I had this quote in an ad before, but this A+ system I hadn’t used before. Crazy.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I am reminded of the comments I used to get from the 'robot editors' back when I used such (like Pro-Writing-Aid). It would throw digital tantrums over some of my word choices, pointing they were not politically correct.

Trauma

Dreamer
Dude, I agree. It's so ridiculous how bots will turn down reviews/comments for using a certain word. I get the reason but seriously,

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Isn't there a place to email? I've seen other folks say they emailed Amazon about this or that problem with ads. Never paid enough attention to notice if they referenced an address.

Bots and political correctness rule the world. It sucks. It sucks even more that we have little choice but to use their playground if we want to play...

I've been told that the best way to get it solved is to call them. Get an actual human on the phone (and apparently ask for a supervisor if they're being annoying) and get them to sort it out. Sometimes emailing Jeff Bezos directly also fixes things (though I'm guessing that's more a gimmick now which simply gets treated like another complaints email address rather than actually being read by Bezos).

“Eve of Snows is a supremely well-executed piece of epic fantasy.“
To be fair that is a very offensive quote. What did Eve of Snows ever do to get executed so supremely well. No fiction deserves to be executed. (well, almost no fiction I've read some bad stuff over the years which would deserve execution...) ;)

I anticipate the day when we begin receiving automated messages telling us something we've posted had been denied because our thoughts, as we typed, were deemed unacceptable! :)

I know how to appeal a full listing removal on Amazon, but not a specific denied line of text. Perhaps it is the same procedure though the seller central/performance/account health?

Years ago I had an item removed by another web store host because it included parts of a 16th century map by Sebastian Münster. Apparently, the name set off alarm bells for whichever network owned the rights to the old TV show, The Musters. No one, I suppose, could differentiate the name of a long-dead cartographer from a nearly-as-long-dead syndicated sitcom, even with the proper accent, or the fact there was no mention of the show/characters in the listing details or item tags.

Hope you can get that worked out without a lot of hassle.