• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A song of Ice and Fire and Word Count

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
An overly long word count is probably something I don't have to worry about, barring an omnibus edition.

Quite the opposite: Even my novels tend to fall shy of 70,000 words. Much of this year I have been working on a series of 35,000 word novellas (something on the order of a hundred pages in publishing land, give or take...I think.)

I suppose, that if the counts work out as estimated, the one novella series - 6 in all - would top 200,000 words, maybe 220,000.

I do remember that a lot of the older SF books, including then groundbreakers like Norton's 'Witch World' and LeGuin's 'EarthSea' checked in at well under 200 pages for each individual book.

I'm a little opposite Russ when it comes to picking out books. If the page count listing is under 300 pages, I usually won't buy it if I'm unfamiliar with the author. I like reading hefty tomes—on Kindle, nowadays, so metaphorically hefty—and personally am not a great fan of unusually short books.

I haven't had a particularly good experience finding great indie books, anyway. A poorly written 300-page book and a poorly written 600-page book are pretty much the same for me: I'm going to stop reading after the first 60-75 pages probably, either way.

The Kindle phenomenon is interesting in the way that size is somewhat vague if you don't first check out the # pages listed on Amazon for the book.

100k words is around 400 pages. Would you still consider that short, going by the length of novels you like to read?

Last edited:
100k words is around 400 pages. Would you still consider that short, going by the length of novels you like to read?

It's not short for me. I consider anything under 300 pages to be short, although I'll still read those if other indicators are that I should. (Familiar/favorite author, good word of mouth, etc.)

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
My style of writing tends to gravitate towards short chapters and i think my main projects will eventually (somewhere in the next century) become a series of relatively short books. About 80.000 words maximum. Would this be a very big problem? Surely a publisher can just lower the price of the book to suit the length right?