• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A way for indies to help each other?

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Random thought I had while washing dishes yesterday:

When I have a bunch of books out, I'm going to use the back of each to advertise my other ones, but, for my debut novel, I don't really have anything to put there.

I'm not sure how effective that advertising is, but could indie authors start "exchanging" that ad space?

Again, just a thought...

A problem that I see, though:

I think I'd only want the "right" person to exchange with. If your content doesn't appeal to the same audience, it's pointless, and, if I think your writing...uh, isn't my favorite, I don't really want to endorse you in my book.

Hi,

Nice idea, and one of the things that keeps coming up in the indie chats is the thought of using the back pages to sell yourself. A better option might be to create an "about the author" couple of pages to help readers connect with you. I've been meaning to do it.

Cheers, Greg.

I suspect you might be referring to something along the lines of BlurbTrade? Unless you can get another (appropriate) author to review your book before you publish it, I had considered this to just be might just be an inevitability for the debut.

Hi,

Last week since I had some free time - The Stars Betrayed is pubbed and The Arcanist has gone to the editor - I went to the public library. After scanning the other indie books listed as also boughts with my book, picked the two of them that I thought were the best for the subject matter I like and the quality of the prose, and filled out a library request form for them (yes - old fashioned I know). Don't know if the library will get them for me but if they do then I've helped out two other indies which makes me happy, got some free reads, and maybe helped myself as an indie since their books are also linked to mine as also boughts! I think that's a win/win/win!

Cheers, Greg.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I suspect you might be referring to something along the lines of BlurbTrade? Unless you can get another (appropriate) author to review your book before you publish it, I had considered this to just be might just be an inevitability for the debut.

CC,

I didn't quite understand that second sentence.

I don't know what Blurbtrade is, but I was more thinking that communities such as MS would be the place to find people who you'd be likely to endorse.

Thanks.

Brian