• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Blogging Help

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Okay, then that makes for a smooth transition to Twitter...

So, Twitter... What on Earth am I doing with it? What does "#" mean? I have no idea what do, here.

For those not willing or without the time to follow the links.

Twitter is basically Status Updates from Facebook, but completely public. Many people try to be witty or actually convey knowledge and information through them.

You use @ followed by usernames to call that person's attention to your tweet or just provide a link to that person's profile to those reading your tweet, and you use # followed by subjects (similar to the subject to an e-mail, but more concise) to make your tweets more searchable.

That's basically it.

Note: Now Facebook and Pinterest (and I'm sure others) support # subjects. I use them to organize my Pinterest pins when I'm bored.

C

Chessie

I hate Twitter even more than Facebook. Its confusing and I have no idea why its important. I'm still connecting my blog posts to it though. One thing I would like to ask: are Twitter and Facebook even important? They seem so pointless but highly recommended. Why? I considered opening up a new Facebook account but I detest the site so much. Maybe someone has a different view on it they would like to share.

@Teacup: your extra follower may be an email sign up. I also had an extra follower pop up that wasn't on my blog list. When I checked blog admin, I discovered my bff had signed up for my blog updates via email.

GeekDavid

Auror
I hate Twitter even more than Facebook. Its confusing and I have no idea why its important. I'm still connecting my blog posts to it though. One thing I would like to ask: are Twitter and Facebook even important? They seem so pointless but highly recommended. Why? I considered opening up a new Facebook account but I detest the site so much. Maybe someone has a different view on it they would like to share.

@Teacup: your extra follower may be an email sign up. I also had an extra follower pop up that wasn't on my blog list. When I checked blog admin, I discovered my bff had signed up for my blog updates via email.

Three reasons why Twitter is better than Facebook for authors:

1. It’s more viral
2. Your audience is searching for your content there
3. You can rally supporters who will rally other supporters

See the article I linked for more details on each of the points.

Also see this article for more reasons why Twitter just works better for authors.

teacup

Auror
@Chesterama but it also lists my email only followers, and none more have been added to that, either. Can some hide their email, or something?

@Chesterama: If you hate it, then you don't need to do them. On the other hand, if you're interested in being connected to your fans, then choose the platform you like the best to do that. For some authors, that connection is only at book signings and the occasional convention or reading. For others, it's Facebook or Twitter or a Website or a Blog or all of the above. I like all of the things for different reasons.

I like my blog because it gives me the chance to write essays, articles, reviews and other random long-form thoughts, as well as provide some structure and individualization to my online persona.

I like my website because it's a great repository of knowledge and links and media related to my books and looks good on business cards and signatures.

I like my twitter because I like throwing random thoughts out into the universe.

I like my facebook because almost everyone I've ever met in the universe is on Facebook and it's great being able to interact with everyone there.

Oh! I also like my Facebook for the milestone feature. Everytime one of my books becomes a bestseller in a different country or gets an award or I publish something, I go on there and make a "Milestone" post which shows up in the "About" portion of the page, then whenever I am doing press releases or advertisements, I have that information readily available without having to keep track of it in my personal records.

teacup

Auror
I recently created a Twitter account and linked it to my blog. I found that I had 2 extra followers on my blog, but couldn't find these followers on my blog's stats. They turned out to be (or seemed to be) my 2 twitter followers. I now have more twitter followers, but my follower count on my WordPress blog hasn't increased.

Does anyone know what's going on?

I assumed that the 2 extra followers on the blog were my twitter followers automatically added to it due to my blog being linked, but these new ones haven't shown up, so I don't know what's happened ._.

In case anyone was wondering what the deal with this was, I've figured it out.
I was right, the extra followers were just the Twitter followers showing up in Wordpress. I know this because I have just posted a new blog post, and it has updated my follower count with the number of followers I have on Twitter.
So I think that the Twitter followers being counted by Wordpress are only updated when I make a new post.

teacup

Auror
What are "pingbacks" on Wordpress?
I read about what they were on the help section, but I still don't get it.

GeekDavid

Auror

A pingback is just a notification that another blog has linked to yours. You can display them or not, as you wish. I display all but the spam ones. You can see some of them on this post of mine... including one saying that this forum has linked to the post. :)

GeekDavid

Auror

Oh, one more thing... it's not just a WordPress feature... most modern blogging software supports sending and receiving pingbacks.