• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Amazon E-Books Vs. Nook Books

The way I see it, if you aren't on all platforms that are free for you to use, why? Even if it doesn't translate to more sales, 1) You aren't losing anything, it's free and

It's only free if your time has no value. It does take a non-zero amount of time to prepare and publish your ebook for multiple markets. (Unless you go through Smashwords, as I understand it, but even then there's a learning curve, and one might have other reasons for avoiding Smashwords.)

Not that it's not worth it, but the cost of publishing to additional platforms is not zero.

JCFarnham

Auror
In theory I see what you're saying, but what I'm talking about is spending your properly free time. I obviously don't mean taking time out of chroes or work for publishing. My philosophy on time (bare with me haha) is that there 24 hours in a day. If you can't find some time you'd usually spend doing nothing useful at all then... well... you're a busy, busy person and I hope it's worth it ;)

I may not have been completely clear before (though the following might confuse you more... woops hope not). The free comments weren't in relation to time/money spent on prep. The "free" was for the platforms alone one is able to upload stuff to without incuring an extra cost. I'm not sure if this is the case as I haven't checked it out yet, but if I'm right then there's no reason not to publish with them (in my opinion).

I would probably end up ignoring the prep costs of the unit to be sold at the end of the day because you have to pay it anyway so there's not much point in worrying about them (non negotiable). Anything on top would be the "cost" I'm talking about, the marketing costs and others like that (and I am speaking in only monetary terms, after all see my philosophy on free time.)

Sorry for not being clearer.

So yes, to bend this aside back towards the many topic, I would publish stuff every where I can with out breeching sole rights (if it mattered). That Ankari and others on here would only buy books for their respective devices shows us that we actually are missing out on readers if we don't.

Smashwords seems particularly good to me for publishing across most but not all of these divides.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I have a Nook as well. I did download a Kindle App because a friend published a book only in that format.

I have no intention of buying a lot of Kindle books, though.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I have no intention of buying a lot of Kindle books, though.

Do they not work right? I have been thinking about finding an app that lets me read ePubs on my Kindle Fire. So far, anything I have opened on my Kindle Fire that is not in "Kindle" format reads just fine. If the Nook doesn't play well with other formats you might look a the Google Nexus Tablet. I think that will read all of them well with the proper app.

I may not have been completely clear before (though the following might confuse you more... woops hope not). The free comments weren't in relation to time/money spent on prep. The "free" was for the platforms alone one is able to upload stuff to without incuring an extra cost. I'm not sure if this is the case as I haven't checked it out yet, but if I'm right then there's no reason not to publish with them (in my opinion).

No, I understood what you meant; my point is that the time you spend dealing with other platforms is time you could also be spending doing something else (like writing new material, or marketing your existing pub on Amazon). There's an opportunity cost to taking the time to deal with multiple platforms.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Do they not work right? I have been thinking about finding an app that lets me read ePubs on my Kindle Fire. So far, anything I have opened on my Kindle Fire that is not in "Kindle" format reads just fine. If the Nook doesn't play well with other formats you might look a the Google Nexus Tablet. I think that will read all of them well with the proper app.

I downloaded the app onto my PC, not the Nook. I don't mind reading on my computer, but I'll stick mostly to buying from B&N.

We have a B&N rewards card. I've gotten both my wife and my Nooks free and most of my reading material.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I downloaded the app onto my PC, not the Nook. I don't mind reading on my computer, but I'll stick mostly to buying from B&N.

We have a B&N rewards card. I've gotten both my wife and my Nooks free and most of my reading material.

Ah...got it. I think you can put the Kindle app on the Nook as well. I'm putting support for as many different formats as I can on the Kindle Fire, so if I want to buy from B&N I'll be able to read it on there.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Steerpike,

That makes sense. I'm not sure a lot of people do that, though. Until I had a specific reason to buy something from Amazon, I had no intention of downloading an app to access their format.