• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Another Wacky World Idea

Hey guys! So in my book I've decided to use a world idea that I haven't seen played with too often that I thought would be fun.
The advanced civilization which came long before the current one has left behind all kinds of ruins, and myths, etc. just like every other fantasy world, but the thing that destroyed their civilization was a cataclysmic event where the entire planet was literally torn apart into chunks which were scattered across the universe. None of those other chunks are very important to my story (though they could be later I guess) but the largest one was protected by magical failsafes which preserved life on its surface.

So of course years go by and the planet shattering has been forgotten by everyone with even the oldest current civilizations unable to remember it. What we are left with is a world that is circular, but not disc shaped. It still has the curvature of the planet, but it is only perhaps a quarter the size of the original planet. The whole thing together is shaped rather like an ice cream cone, the bottom of which is actually the interior of the world. It looks as if you reached down to the core of the planet and pulled a chunk out.

I don't have questions about the way this world works, but I would love to hear any neat ideas you have to play around with it as a setting. I already have some neat stuff going on: there is a subterranean species which occasionally tunnels right out the side of the world, etc. Any ideas welcome!

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
What it sort of reminds me of [but I don't really know why...] is Flash Gordon and the Kingdom/Empire/Realm of Ming the Merciless.
I would go for absolutely NO form of an explanation of how this all works. It just is. And just deal with :sneaky:

elemtilas

Inkling
Concur: don't bother explaining -- it sounds like a neat setting, though!

Gives a whole new meaning to sailing over the edge of the world --- you go over the falls and wind up either in some interior world or else burnt to a crisp in the core fragment. Awesome!