• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Anyone interested in RPGing?

That isn't the type of RP I'm talking about. I was thinking more along the lines of the conventional online RPs: where a bunch of people just get together and start building a story with thier characters. Granted it has its disadvantages: especially in single combat against another player's character or NPC/monster. However, I found this style of RPing less restrictive and actually quite enjoyable. The RP I enjoyed the most and played the longest was actually very simple: a bunch of original fantasy characters from various authors' original works banding together to help each other achieve a certain goal and/or because they were trapped in an unfamiliar place with no way of returning to thier own world. The RP began with the characters meeting each other in a tavern, though new characters continued to join in throughout the adventure - we just wrote thier introductions into the plot (character C approaches the party as they make camp, and asks to tag along). Along the way, we developed side plots - a few romances between characters from different stories, a quest to stop evil, finding portals that would send each character to thier respective world, ect. At one point, one player took us through several key scenes she was writing for her novel, where we confronted some of her villains; while another player introduced her primary antagonist as a villain for us to be wary of (the RP was less of a DnD style battle/quest than a collaborative novel, so there was more character development and experimentation/exposition than real action). We had no official game-master, just the guy who started the thread (he eventually diminished his role until he disappeared), and whomever had the best idea for a plot/mini-quest.

I guess I'm wondering if we can have a special forum where we can start our own free-form RPGs. Would enough people like that idea to make it work?

Ravana

Istar
Hmm. I would consider that less a "game" than a "shared-world" exercise… but that may just be quibbling over terminology. At any rate, no reason why it shouldn't work, given the right group of people. I'd be provisionally interested–assuming I can manage the time, which would be the big factor–and everything else falls into place. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Last edited by a moderator: