• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Anyone know anything about Babylon, Israel, and Assyria? Specifically Nechadnezzar's era.

I've decided to make my Webnovel's setting based loosely on this era, the Babylonian occupation of Israel following the destruction of the first temple (loosely because magic, monsters, a unique religion, nobles, and advanced technology are thing). However, for the sake of research and keeping this forum simple, I want to focus on the historical information of this era, from its culture, geography, myths, etc. Anything that can be useful to draw from.

Gurkhal

Auror
I know a little on the subject and I think that I can hunt down some books for your research if you would want that.

EDITED: I wouldn't worry to much about Assyria from a historical standpoint if you're going with the neo-Babylonian empire. Assyria was gone by that time even if the people of the Assyrians remained.

I know a little on the subject and I think that I can hunt down some books for your research if you would want that.

EDITED: I wouldn't worry to much about Assyria from a historical standpoint if you're going with the neo-Babylonian empire. Assyria was gone by that time even if the people of the Assyrians remained.
Interesting. Can you please tell me what you know? Also, if you can find the books I would appreciate it.
I love the Fall of Civilizations podcast. The narrator weaves history like a story, and the way he brings the listener to the PoV of a citizen of the subject matter is captivating. Check out The Assyrians: Empire of Iron and The Bronze Age Collapse - Mediterranean Apocalypse for easy listening and a head start into your research.
I'll check them out. Thank you!

Gurkhal

Auror
Interesting. Can you please tell me what you know? Also, if you can find the books I would appreciate it.

I'll check them out. Thank you!

Its easier to answer a specific question but I'll tell you that a major part of the pre-Persian period is continuity from Sumer to the late Babylonians and so on, as seen in for example the religious sphere but also in other spheres. To my knowledge the polytheist period had changes and so, absolutely, but also a great respect for earlier periods of the area.

A solid book to introduce yourself to ancient Mesopotamia is the book "Ancient Iraq" by Georges Roux. And from there you can look at other works that might be more specific or just be less of an introduction. Or just ask me for some help with hunting down the books. :p

EDITED: Although there's alot of stuff written for the neo-Assyrian empire so that might be an alternative if your story idea supports a change like that.

Its easier to answer a specific question but I'll tell you that a major part of the pre-Persian period is continuity from Sumer to the late Babylonians and so on, as seen in for example the religious sphere but also in other spheres. To my knowledge the polytheist period had changes and so, absolutely, but also a great respect for earlier periods of the area.

A solid book to introduce yourself to ancient Mesopotamia is the book "Ancient Iraq" by Georges Roux. And from there you can look at other works that might be more specific or just be less of an introduction. Or just ask me for some help with hunting down the books. :p

EDITED: Although there's alot of stuff written for the neo-Assyrian empire so that might be an alternative if your story idea supports a change like that.
My world plays with several concepts of history. I just needed inspiration to draw from to help me make it better.
So I am curious about things like the government system, weapons, and armor, general technology, clothes, etc. Sorry to dump a bunch of vague stuff, I don't have a lot of specific questions yet.

Gurkhal

Auror
Ok. If you're interested in the neo-Assyrian Empire I could dump some links in this thread for your aid. It isn't the neo-Babylonian Empire but it may have more easily accessable info at the ready.

Gurkhal

Auror
Then for you, and others interested I present the following links regarding mostly the Assyrians through the "Assyrian State Archives" project. I hope you get some use from this. :)

Overview

Another overview of published material

Academic publisher that publishes alot of material regarding the ancient Near East in general

Two sites with some general overview about the neo-Assyrian empire (there are links here in link number two, above, but I post them here as well for making them easy to find)

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I wish I had special knowledge of this, but I dont have much more than what any could find in a google search, and a few mentions in history class. And even then I was more interested in mythology. I dont think I can save you any reading.

I wish I had special knowledge of this, but I dont have much more than what any could find in a google search, and a few mentions in history class. And even then I was more interested in mythology. I dont think I can save you any reading.
I am also looking into some myths. Got any?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
When I was younger, if there was a mythology book, I probably read it. But that was many years ago. I'd have to go look stuff up again to have any accuracy. Most of what I could present would be an understanding that Babylonian mytho's springs heavily from Sumerian mythos, and the names of gods and what they were generally gods of. Maybe a story or two. But nothing that Wikipedia might not also have. Given the time period you want to write about, I would have to question if they were not already questioning the Gods in light of more monotheistic, or Greek leanings.

I often look at Gilgamesh as another flood story, and has a lot of pages of Utnapishtim rowing which was there way of saying the journey was long.