• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Does anyone know lesser known shape changers or people that have the powers of animals

Jadink6

Acolyte
Im looking for things like Therianthropy (people who can shift into an animal form), man-weres (animals that can shift into a human form), and just other shape changers because im trying to write my own bestiary but i dont want to just use all the well known ones. If you know any Shape changers or therianthropes i will gladly learn about them. Thank you.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
We have 41 therian types in our UF series, covering land, sea, and air, from the usual wolves to Komodo dragons. If it makes sense in your universe, go for broke and have a blast. We have rabbits, deer, lions, tigers, and bears, etc. We have sharks. They're lawyers.

Karlin

Troubadour
Ha. Sun Wukong. Monkey that changes into a bee, a bat, a house etc. Not exactly "lesser known", depending on where you are from.

Always ready with a China-related answer.

Rexenm

Inkling
The dilemma is the animal inside, it always has love. Repressing that talent, with crime, is maybe the best way to, maybe replicate that animal school.

Insolent Lad

Maester
I'm currently reading an old book of Algonquin myth/folk tales, and people (whether 'normal,' sorcerers, or in some sense divine) are forever shape-shifting into animals and back. And sometimes into trees, mountains, etc. The trickster/god of mischief, Lox, typically becomes a wolverine, but sometimes a badger or raccoon. Girls who swim too much (apparently) transform into a sort of snake-like mermaid. There is quite a bit of changing into snakes, in fact.

Azul-din

Troubadour
In Haiti, there are the Sucouants, women who shed their skins and travel as spirits, vampires, whatever. There are fire hags who roam setting fires. Were-panthers and were-tigers are common, I guess, but what about the animals Peyote is rumored to turn you into? Sasquatch comes to mind

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Im looking for things like Therianthropy (people who can shift into an animal form), man-weres (animals that can shift into a human form), and just other shape changers because im trying to write my own bestiary but i dont want to just use all the well known ones. If you know any Shape changers or therianthropes i will gladly learn about them. Thank you.

Just an aside, but they would not likely be called Man-Wares, as Ware is an ancient word for Male men. It would be like calling them Man-Males.

You spelled it with an ‘a’ 😁 apparently the closest equivalent would be ‘wif’ as in ‘wife’ from Old English, so for a female human changing into a wolf, it could be wifwolf. Has a ring to it I think.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
You spelled it with an ‘a’ 😁 apparently the closest equivalent would be ‘wif’ as in ‘wife’ from Old English, so for a female human changing into a wolf, it could be wifwolf. Has a ring to it I think.

Doh...:wideyed:

Um....close....But I think you get the origins.

Wer-man and wif-man were male man, and female man. Obviously the meaning have muted into something different, but taking werewolf and just reversing it would indicate a creature that was not around when the terms were coined. If the creature is new, that might happen, but if its old, likely not.

Wer-man and wif-man were male man, and female man - erm, what does all that mean??

Are you saying that a werewolf was always intended to be a man-wolf? Or that man could also mean a female human too? I just went off the Old English words for male and female. She-wolf might be a better option? Or a skinwalker, those things are creepy.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
It means man was a term that was all inclusive. The wer and wiv identified gender. It changed over years. wer was dropped and man became synonymous with both male and all of mankind. Wiv, obviously became wife.

Thus, a werewolf, could be male or female, and the term is still the same.

Reversing them to ManWere, simply means man male.

Last edited:
It means man was a term that was all inclusive. The wer and wiv identified gender. It changed over years. wer was dropped and man became synonymous with both male and all of mankind. Wiv, obviously became wife.

This, a werewolf, could be male or female, and the term is still the same.

Reversing them to ManWere, simply means man male.
Since when were you an Old English linguistics scholar?! 😉

It’s interesting though.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Strange stuff has been known to happen. I forget where that first came up for me, but it was around werewolves then too. (Though, I do seem to get tagged on archaic terms at times. I still sometimes use Thy and Thou when I speak.)

Sadly though, other than skinwalkers, I am not feeling a bunch of other names pop up for an direct answer to the opening question.

No me neither, but it’s an opportunity to get creative and create your own? Get inspired by a culture or make a culture of your own. That’s what’s so great about worldbuilding and fantasy storytelling. You get to write what you want. Selkies are another that I can think of.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I would favor making up a term.

I'd also note, for the sake of inclusion, that many creatures have myths that have them talking on human form. Gold Dragon's for one ;) I am not sure the creature's get a special name category for this ability. It was more just magical.