• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Anyone know anything about Babylon, Israel, and Assyria? Specifically Nechadnezzar's era.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I recently wrote a story with a good portion based on Amazonian culture (think near the amazon river). Try finding source material on that ;)

Just looked up a list of Assyrian Kings, and much to my surprise, I had heard of a few of them. Not so much the Babylonians. Hammurabi being the most famous, and having gained some greater historical significance as being the father of law, I would probably pick him.

I recently wrote a story with a good portion based on Amazonian culture (think near the amazon river). Try finding source material on that ;)

Just looked up a list of Assyrian Kings, and much to my surprise, I had heard of a few of them. Not so much the Babylonians. Hammurabi being the most famous, and having gained some greater historical significance as being the father of law, I would probably pick him.
I may because I heard there's a story involving Rabbis, Alexander the Great, the Garden of Eden, and Amazons.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Yes, two kinds.

Greek.
images

South American.
images

Gurkhal

Auror
Can't say that I have a good grasp on Babylonian kings since when I was heavily into the ancient Mesopotamia I was more into the Assyrians than the Babylonians.

But to get something moving in terms of discussion I can perhaps mention Nabopolassar, who founded the neo-Babylonian empire and was instrumental in destroying the neo-Assyrian empire.

As well as Samas-suma-ukin who was the brother of the Assyrian king Ashurbanipal and installed as a king in Babylonia by his father, despite being the older of the two sons. Anyway, resentment grew with Samas-suma-ukin who finally rebelled against his younger brother but was defeated and if I recall finally killed himself when his capital's defences were breached by setting his palace on fire and dying there.

So there you have two Babylonian kings who may or may not have been important but whom I recall among the constant and endless strife between the Assyrians and Babylonians in this period. When looking at the Babylonian throne at this point in history its like a game of musical chairs with people coming and going at a pretty rapid pace and in a rotation between anti-Assyrian minded kings and Assyrian puppets.

Can't say that I have a good grasp on Babylonian kings since when I was heavily into the ancient Mesopotamia I was more into the Assyrians than the Babylonians.

But to get something moving in terms of discussion I can perhaps mention Nabopolassar, who founded the neo-Babylonian empire and was instrumental in destroying the neo-Assyrian empire.

As well as Samas-suma-ukin who was the brother of the Assyrian king Ashurbanipal and installed as a king in Babylonia by his father, despite being the older of the two sons. Anyway, resentment grew with Samas-suma-ukin who finally rebelled against his younger brother but was defeated and if I recall finally killed himself when his capital's defences were breached by setting his palace on fire and dying there.

So there you have two Babylonian kings who may or may not have been important but whom I recall among the constant and endless strife between the Assyrians and Babylonians in this period. When looking at the Babylonian throne at this point in history its like a game of musical chairs with people coming and going at a pretty rapid pace and in a rotation between anti-Assyrian minded kings and Assyrian puppets.
The rivalry between Assyrians and Babylonians are interesting. Especially since the legends of Semiramis and the Hanging Gardens of Babylon mesh that two.

So I watched a video on the Testament of Solomon for research and now know the story. It was interesting to hear about these different demons, at least.
I just can't believe someone wrote this.

I've decided to make my Webnovel's setting based loosely on this era, the Babylonian occupation of Israel following the destruction of the first temple (loosely because magic, monsters, a unique religion, nobles, and advanced technology are thing). However, for the sake of research and keeping this forum simple, I want to focus on the historical information of this era, from its culture, geography, myths, etc. Anything that can be useful to draw from.
Yes, Israel was named after Jacob. Jacob actually wrestled with God himself all threw the night and gave a heck of a fight. God had to injure Jacob's hip and after the match was over Jacob was renamed Israel which is why Israel is named Israel. Just remember God Israel đŸ˜‰

Yes, Israel was named after Jacob. Jacob actually wrestled with God himself all threw the night and gave a heck of a fight. God had to injure Jacob's hip and after the match was over Jacob was renamed Israel which is why Israel is named Israel. Just remember God Israel

I've decided to make my Webnovel's setting based loosely on this era, the Babylonian occupation of Israel following the destruction of the first temple (loosely because magic, monsters, a unique religion, nobles, and advanced technology are thing). However, for the sake of research and keeping this forum simple, I want to focus on the historical information of this era, from its culture, geography, myths, etc. Anything that can be useful to draw from.
God also punished Nechadnezzar for 7 years for his evilness. Made him go insane for 7 years.

Rexenm

Inkling
let’s see how much I can remember of this bible account; nebuchadnezzar was descended from lot, and after the destruction of sodom and gomorrah, which lead to salt piles, there was a migration in the desert. on their way to canon, the levites wound up sending shadrach meshach and abednego, inspired by the burning bush, who somehow met up with jesus. this inspired nebuchadnezzar to set them free, though not before building a golden statue, that was brought to him in a dream, apparently from the arc of the covenant. at some point before this, the tower of babel was built, and languages became confused, resulting in the ruins one sees today.

let’s see how much I can remember of this bible account; nebuchadnezzar was descended from lot, and after the destruction of sodom and gomorrah, which lead to salt piles, there was a migration in the desert. on their way to canon, the levites wound up sending shadrach meshach and abednego, inspired by the burning bush, who somehow met up with jesus. this inspired nebuchadnezzar to set them free, though not before building a golden statue, that was brought to him in a dream, apparently from the arc of the covenant. at some point before this, the tower of babel was built, and languages became confused, resulting in the ruins one sees today.
Well, if I recall correctly, the Tanakh places the Tower of Babel before the time of Avraham. There were 2 Nebuchadnezzar. I believe the first did the Tower of Bavel and the second is the one who made the Babylonian Empire.

Pegzy

Scribe
Try Britannica. It's available online. Here'a link
I had a book somewhere which deals with this period. If I can get my hands on it, I'll post the title.