• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Artistic opinion requested, Game of Thrones art

SeverinR

Vala
I make shields,
I have 5 finished shields, here is 2 examples:
Bi-Unicorn shield by ~SeverinR on deviantART
Ram skull shield by ~SeverinR on deviantART
My av is also one of my shields, it is my COA.

I also have a display of devices:
http://mythicscribes.com/forums/fantasy-art/5225-heraldry-book-i-am-editing.html

I am planning to make a GOT shield, with the Stark family device.
Which would look better? The device alone, or the device with family motto?

game of thrones Stark - Bing Images

game of thrones Stark - Bing Images

disclaimer:
The device is probably tm, so this is only for my personal use/display, the names were changed to protect the innocent, no plants/animals were harmed in the making...oh wait,I use real wood and real leather edging, please disreguard the last disclaimer.

Last edited:

SeverinR

Vala
Maybe the shield with the device and maybe a tabard with the motto?

yes, I can sew, I can paint, I work with wood, I work with clay.

SeverinR

Vala
I'm hoping I can get a friend to deliver a 4x8 sheet of Luan so I can make several shields.

I am a former and hopefully in the future member of the SCA. We reinact for the fun rather then put on a show for patrons.

Nihal

Vala
I don't know how to explain it properly. I feel like having the motto + the device isn't so immersive, because the motto is not incorporated in the device as if it was a part of it, as we can see in some crests, like, uh, the Hogwarts one.

So, if you plan to use it as a part of an reenactment I think it's a better idea to keep the device only. If you want to display it and don't care too much about immersion, include the motto.

SeverinR

Vala
I don't know how to explain it properly. I feel like having the motto + the device isn't so immersive, because the motto is not incorporated in the device as if it was a part of it, as we can see in some crests, like, uh, the Hogwarts one.

So, if you plan to use it as a part of an reenactment I think it's a better idea to keep the device only. If you want to display it and don't care too much about immersion, include the motto.

This would be just for display.
I don't believe in our history, words were a part of banners or coat of arms.
In the show releases, they have it with and without words, will have to watch in the actual show to see if the banners have the motto.

SeverinR

Vala
So my car broke down...again,
rented a car, they didn't have one, so they rented me a F150 king cab 4x4.
So I bought me a full sheet of Luan so I now have enough wood to make 4 more full shields, and have smaller pieces I might make smaller shields with.
When life gives you lemons, squeeze the p--- out of em. no wait, hows that saying go?

Got a request for a COA from someone that has seen my work, his COA doesn't sound that tough.