• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Asha

imsc

Scribe
as i had stated in my introduction, i am developing a homebrewed pathfinder campaign setting that i want to expand into novels and possibly movies in the future. the setting is inspired by historic african and mesoamerican cultures. when i decided to do the setting the first thing i asked was what were real-world jungle/tropical cultures like? asha is largely a tropical/sub-tropical world. a lot of the information about this setting is in my head, but i have written some things down. i'll start with some basics about asha, and add things to the thread as time goes on. any feedback is appreciated!

ASHA
Asha is an Earth-like moon orbiting the ringed gas giant, Jongilanga. Jongilanga is the closet planet to the system's twin stars, Azana and Azaya. Asha is one of several Earth-like moons orbiting the gas giant (many non Earth-like moons also orbit Jongilanga). It is very similiar in size to the Earth and carries many of the same characteristics. The primary difference is that Asha is warmer than the Earth, and most environments on Asha fall within the tropical and sub-tropical bands.

THE AZANIAN SEA REGION
The setting takes place in the Azanian Sea Region, an area dominated by the Azanian Islands as well as a mainland area. The islands have banded together to form a nation known as the People's Federal States of Azania . . . though most call it simply, Azania. Across the sea the known mainland is dominated by the Masters of Sin . . . devils, demons, daemons, and evil dragons who have enslaved many of those who have oppossed them. In these lands, ritual sacrifice, brutality, and slavery are common.

HUMAN CULTURES
Humans of the known world are divided into three cultures.

Azanians - Named after the mortal hero, turned goddess, and democratically elected empress, Azana. Most Azanians live in Azania, though some have expanded beyond the borders of the island chain. Azanians tend to have a matriarchical society . . . though they preach equality between the sexes is one of the goals of the Azanian Revolution. Most Azanians are humans of some type of mixed blood (usually celestial and/or elven), and tend to be attractive, tall and athletic. The Azanians are war-like when it comes to their ideals . . . carrying out guerilla warfare against the Masters of Sin on the mainland in the name of the revolution.

Zulai - The dark opposites of the Azanians. The Zulai are named after the Mistress of Lust, Zula. Though the Zulai are largely a patriarchical society, Zula is the ultimate achiever and is worshipped because of it. If the Zulai respect one thing more than gender roles, it's power. Zula was able to do what no other mortal was able to do at the time . . . become the first of Asha's true dieties. Most Zulai have mixed blood (usually fiendish, serpentine, or humanoid). The Zulai are usually attractive, but in a manner that is more seducitve as oppossed to the natural beauty of Azanians. Male warriors wear ritual and battle scars as badges of honor, while many females favor magic to even the odds.

Osengu - The original race of humans that the Azanians and Zulai are descended from. The Osengu are largely a peaceful, nomadic, herding culture. Most Osengu lands have been conquered by the Masters of Sin, and Osengu slaves are quite common.

questions? comments?

Gurkhal

Auror
For me there are some things I like and some things I don't like. I very much like the idea of having a sub-tropical and tropical setting and having it based on sub-Saharan Africa and Mesoamerica sounds really cool to me.

In terms of the names I think they are pretty good and works well and they give the right feeling to me.

What I don't like is the black-and-white dualism between the good Azanians and the evil Zulai. I get the vib that you are making judgment on the cultures that you are inspired by rather than trying to understand them.

Saigonnus

Auror
I tend to agree with Gurkhal in his black and white observation. Why would someone assume that just because a particular culture worships a goddess of Lust (one of the seven deadly sins) that they'd be evil? Sure random encounters with strangers or people you know is considered naughty by modern society, but at one time it was necessary to propogate the species. I don't think cavemen living in the stone age would have had second thoughts about mating with several women if he had the strength to overcome opposition to his conquests.

One could easily say that from an outsiders point of view that they'd be "different" and maybe evil but to the followers it is simply a way of life, perhaps one they enjoy. Maybe mating with the priestesses of the Zulai is an honor given only to those who perform well on the battlefield, or have a particular skill that could be passed on genetically to the offspring, or even to the wealthy who can pay for the "service".

imsc

Scribe
For me there are some things I like and some things I don't like. I very much like the idea of having a sub-tropical and tropical setting and having it based on sub-Saharan Africa and Mesoamerica sounds really cool to me.

In terms of the names I think they are pretty good and works well and they give the right feeling to me.

What I don't like is the black-and-white dualism between the good Azanians and the evil Zulai. I get the vib that you are making judgment on the cultures that you are inspired by rather than trying to understand them.

interesting. keep in mind what i am speaking of is generalizations . . . not all zulai are evil, not all azanians are good. and i would agree that many of the zulai probably don't see themselves as evil, more as "pramatic". but then again, many villians of history did not consider themselves as evil. was hitler evil? how about stalin or sadaam hussein? what made them so if they were? plus, if your culture was influenced heavily by demons and devils, do you not think a bit of evil would rub off?

imsc

Scribe
I tend to agree with Gurkhal in his black and white observation. Why would someone assume that just because a particular culture worships a goddess of Lust (one of the seven deadly sins) that they'd be evil? Sure random encounters with strangers or people you know is considered naughty by modern society, but at one time it was necessary to propogate the species. I don't think cavemen living in the stone age would have had second thoughts about mating with several women if he had the strength to overcome opposition to his conquests.

One could easily say that from an outsiders point of view that they'd be "different" and maybe evil but to the followers it is simply a way of life, perhaps one they enjoy. Maybe mating with the priestesses of the Zulai is an honor given only to those who perform well on the battlefield, or have a particular skill that could be passed on genetically to the offspring, or even to the wealthy who can pay for the "service".

to get a little deeper in zula's religion is she's not evil simply because she's lustful (which she is lol). she was born a half-demon daughter of a demon lord (lady). lust is the means she uses to manipulate others into doing what she wants, which are usually selfish and violent. her lust goes beyond simple sex . .. zula believes you should do whatever you want in life no matter what (or who gets hurt). if she sleeps with 100 men in one night and blasts them into ashes afterward she sees no problem with it. she would have no problem molesting children if she felt like it would be an interesting experience. she also lusts for power on a mega scale. she initially wants to rule all of asha (to better persue her lusts), then the known solar system, then the multiverse.

these are the type of values most zulai respect. most are not powerful enough to actually achieve them on a level that zula has. but this is a group of humans that has been influenced by evil, which, while still human, they have lost some of their humanity.

imsc

Scribe
Elves

ELVES
Elves are primarily divided into two cultures . . . Azanian and Ikari. Physically the two types are similiar. Elves tend to be tall, with skin tones ranging from tan to dark brown, but usually a medium brown to match the colors of the trees. Elven males and females are fond of wearing their hair in braids, and their hair colors tend to match the natural environment with black, brown, and various shades of green being most common. Elves of Azanian culture have assimiliated into that cosmopolitan society. They are actually descended from Ikari explorers who came to the Azanian Islands. The Ikari are traditionalists, and once had an empire that dominated the Azanian Sea. The common tongue of the region is actually Ikari. The Ikari Empire was destroyed by the combination of bitter wars with the Serpentfolk Empire, the arrival of the Masters of Sin, and the Cult of Dagon's summoning of a hurricane which drowned large parts of the empire. The surviving Ikari formed new survivor states in new lands . . . while the Ikari on the Azanian Islands abandoned their settlements and melted into the forests.