• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Ask me about clothes.

Great question and very interesting hobby / degree. I already know that I will probably annoy you by asking 20 questions, just a pre-warning!

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the importance of clothing in fantasy settings first of all, and secondly if there are any common aspects about clothing in fantasy settings that are done well or conversely done poorly?

Mireille

Dreamer
Clothes are one of the first ways we tell the world about ourselves. What a person is wearing speaks about their local climate, social standing, occupation, affiliated groups, health, hygiene, age, sexuality, gender and general outlook on life.

One of the things that really annoys me when reading is the lack of interplay between clothes and the environment. Givin that human's and humanoid creatures are mostly furless clothes become incredibly important. Most environments presented in almost every world from hot sandy deserts to wet cold rainy climates are potentially hazards to naked humans. I find that especial women’s clothing and hair tend to ignore the implications of living in a world. Not exactly fantasy but Bridgerton forgets that the bulk of the action takes place in the winter and early spring in in pre industrially Britian a cold wet rainy country without efficient automatic central heating. All the characters should be wearing more layers.

What time period do you focus on when making clothes, if any?

I have working women in my fantasy world in a European medieval to Middle Ages inspired time period - what basic terminology covers some staple clothing items from this approx time period?

I have them so far in lots of home spun wool and linen clothing, but do not have too much knowledge of exact terminology.

How would they have dressed? As in physically, would they have made sure they could dress themselves rather than be dressed?

How often would they wash their clothes (if ever)? Would they have used a drop spindle? What later technology did they use to make their clothes? A loom?

Mireille

Dreamer
First layer is a linen smock or shift, typically it is long ending somewhere between the calf and the ankle it gets washes she should own more than one this item gets changes washed regularly white of natura is really the only colour as it is really difficult to dye linen and then washi it regularly, linen socks of nether hose go on her feet again in wite they should be tied on with garters, long ribbons that wound round the leg at the knee above the calf. No underpants unless that is she is tying rags to deal with her period.

Over that she should have a kirtle or under tunic. It should have sleeves although they can be removable. Lots of colour options here as wool takes dyes verry well and this garment would not be washed. The smell it actually delt with as a result of being around wood burning firer so unless she is particularly smelly human, she would smell of wood smoke.

Red is traditional but brown, yellow and blue are other options. It can be worn on its own but only around close friends and family. It would be belted around the waist with a fabric belt unless she is rich it would be tied of it would hand a pouch for carrying small things. She would also likely have a sheathed small knife for eating.

Out in public she would have a gown or jacket also in wool this it to show off her social standing. More costly dyes tend to be a double dip wash or mor saturated colours darker reds and blues also, violet, green and black. Again it wouldn't get washed most everyday garments would have fount lacing, cloth ties, or pins. lots of clothing was fastened together with pins. If she had money, she might have a leather belt with metal buckle.

On her feet she would have leather shoes possibly stuffed with wool to cushion her feat although the unpaved nature of the rods is actually quite comfortable. In addition, she might own pattens wooden over shoes with leather straps to hold them on to keep her feet dry on wet muddy roads.

When working she probably wears a linen apron to keep her clothes clean, she would have more than one and the get washed regularly.

Her hair would be braided with a fabric tape and tied round her head to keep it up and out of the way that would then be covered with a linen cloth or head rail. Hair wouldn't get washed regularly but by changing the linen regularly and daily combing keeps it fairly clean.

Every woman except maybe the highest-ranking ones spun using a drop spindle. it would be one of the items she kept on her for any spare moment she had free.
The was a thriving trade in wool during the period. The best wool was grown in England exported to Flander to be woven and then sold as finished cloth.

Thank you Mireille, I also like how you wrote that, bringing her to life.

I am going to guess that you also have some knowledge on dyeing fabric with traditional or natural dyes?

I’m in the process of growing and cultivating what I’d describe as a ‘medieval garden’, and it’d be interesting to grow woad, weld and madder, maybe next year, but I certainly already grow some plants that I could use for making natural dyes with already, plus if you include dandelion in that description! Although I’d be more interested in just observing the life cycle of the plants themselves rather than making the dyes.

I have a range of social classes in one of my fantasy stories that stays pretty closely to a generic medieval time period, more on the earlier side, where I have peasants, commoners, middling sorts and nobles. So a whole range, and of course I have some creative freedom.

How do you like to weave in clothing descriptions into your writing?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I appreciate the thoroughness of your answer. I just don't know what I would ask about clothing. It does not really get a lot of attention in my story (Mr. Martin would not be pleased). I figure the characters know how to dress.

Mireille

Dreamer
I tend to use descriptions of clothing in character descriptions.

"Anne was a slight, pale, freckled kid barely in a woman’s body. Her wool kirtle too tight for her growing form showed off her new curves, the hem halfway to her knees."

When a stiuation draws attention to the clothes.

"The fabric clung to his skin cold and clammy as he pulls the wet shirt off making a squelching sound and it hit the rock. Cursing to himself he rummaged in his pack looking for something dry to ward of the chill biting at his bare skin."