• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Ask Me about Elementals!

Chilari

Staff
Elementals? They're fictional and thus subject to the whim of the writer. The research forum is for real things only. Unless you refer to mythology relating to elementals? In which case you must be rpecise about what you know.

If this thread is not about research relating to the real world it will be locked.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Elementals are mentioned a lot in Occultism and also Cryptozoology, and even though they belong to the same category as the Mothman, the Yeti, the Leprechauns and other types of mysterious beings, there are many people who believe that the Elementals are part of the real world.

I do believe in all those creatures and maybe someone here would like the idea of featuring Elementals in their stories, but still I have a feeling that this thread does not belong to the Research Forum- World Building, maybe??

Lorna

Inkling
Hap 818, I'm interested to hear your take on elementals. To me they are the nature spirits of the land. Each rock, tree, brook, river,wind and cloud has a 'spirit.'

If we humans choose we can break them down into four elements (eg. Paracelsus)

Yet they remain connected to the land and some have their own realms. (Take the Anglo Saxon / Norse world tree where there as well as middle eath there are the realms of the frost and fire giants, light and dark elves and Celtic myths- in Ireland the Sidhe, Wales the houses of Don and Llyr, Scotland Seelie and Unseelie courts).

My view of elementals is that they're born of the land. Which is why where it's icy you get yetis and where it's boggy you get boggarts. Most mythic creatures were once guardians of a type of land we rudely intruded on which is why many appear evil in folk lore.

This applies in reality and fantasy novels. My WIP is based on a split between the material and elemental and planes and the elementals are very much spirits of the land. I'd be interested to hear your take.

Last edited:

Saigonnus

Auror
Elementals make a brief appearance in my novel in progress thus far... Jade Moon summons a stone golem from the ground beneath her; the ten foot tall creature veritably crisscrossed with veins of molten rock and sends it to attack some critters that threaten her people.