• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

B&N Reverses Course on Nook

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
It doesn't sound like it really means much. It's just a question of whether the Nooks are designed in-house or if the brand is licensed out.

Everyone who buys a Nook is going to use the B&N marketplace, so as long as the Nooks bring in new users, they can sell at a discount and make up money on the book sales. The tablets aren't likely to go away unless, for instance, the Nook marketplace ends up the default on every Microsoft tablet - which I still see as a likely end-point.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Previously, I think they said they were going to discontinue the Nook HD line altogether, and just have the black-and-white eReaders, so they were going to be out of the tablet space altogether. Unless I'm not remembering what they said accurately.

I think a partnership with MS might make sense, but I'd certainly want to keep the Android app available as well (and an iOS app if they have it). I have both the Nook and Kindle apps on my Nexus 7, as well as a third-party eReader app and the Google Play app that comes standard. I like the variety, and the one thing I don't like about my Kindle Fire is that Amazon tries to lock out other formats to the extent possible (though with side-loading and other options, they can't do it entirely).

My Nexus 7 has replaced my Kindle Fire as my color reader of choice.

That's interesting. I still haven't switched over from PubIt to B&N's new publishing space. I own a few Nook books, but I own a BUNCH of Kindle books. It is nice having them all on your third-party device.

Telcontar

Staff
Ah, good. Here's hoping it remains a multi-format reader and that they take steps to improve their crappy electronic storefront on the devices. I no longer even try to browse for books directly from my Nook - I buy at Amazon and move the files over.