• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Battle Fantasy - D.Gray Man (review)

Aldarion

Archmage

D.Gray Man is probably my favorite manga, and one of the manga I believe to be the most underrated in the West. A lot of this is due to a major hiatuses that manga had been forced to take due to author’s bad health. Manga is written and drawn by Katsura Hoshino, and is heavily based upon the author’s earlier work, the one-shot manga Zone (much like One Piece grew out of the Romance Dawn). Yet it would probably not be wrong to consider it the greatest shounen manga ever. It should probably be noted that Hoshino also created designs for Valvrave the Liberator.

Basic premise of the story is that in a world full of sorrow, Millenium Earl – who is essentially the Devil and probably one of most terrifying antagonists in any manga – allows grieving, despairing individuals to sign a “pact with the devil” in order to revive their loved ones. But this is not actually resurrection: soul of the deceased is called into a metalic skeleton, the akuma (Japanese for a “demon”), which is then used to imprison the soul and use it as a fuel. Akuma then murders the person who called the soul back, and wears its corpse as a disguise until evolving from Level 0 into Level 1.

Rest of the article on blog.

Queshire

Istar
Man, D.Gray Man is great. I should re-read it sometime. It doesn't quite reach the rank of greatest Shonen manga ever for me however. There's parts where I think the story could be tightened up a bit.

Aldarion

Archmage
Man, D.Gray Man is great. I should re-read it sometime. It doesn't quite reach the rank of greatest Shonen manga ever for me however. There's parts where I think the story could be tightened up a bit.
Yeah. It is being published again, a chapter every three months or so.