• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Beginning with a story

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Do you? thanks. I do too. She was named in the previous book when she was born, but Aarin was what I wanted to call my third kid if it was a boy. Nope got a girl, so I used the name for my character. :) But I'm silly like that.

Thanks for all the support.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
As for the pacing of this novel, Chapter 1 is getting to know these characters and the lives they live. Chapter 2 goes more into their own personal struggles and is full of interaction, but not really conflict. I am avoiding starting this story with a fight between the two characters because that is what the whole rest of the book is about (each character in their own fight).

Totally makes sense. Any suggestion made is only worth as much as it helps. If it doesn't help then well... :)

When you have two characters who start as mundane and go on to accomplish great things, how do you best show who they are quickly?

I think you kind of answered your own question just a little with the following.

I want this strong love they feel for each other to carry them through their own lives, ....

Finding and focusing on a moment/scene that embodies their strong love is possibly where the answer lies, whether it's an argument, sharing lunch, playing sports, working, joking around, discussing their dreams or whatever.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
yeah that's kind of where I am.. but if not over the story... I'm not sure.. they'd just be laying in a barn and he's got to leave... I am not sure that's any better. :) As always, I should finish out the chapter and just hack the beginning two pages off..... I'm seeing a trend in my writing. It takes me two pages of run-up and then gets rolling. This might just be my particular problem and I can just get used to hacking it off every time. Thanks for reading guys, I appreciate every opinion.

Well, ultimately your vision of the story has to prevail. I might not care for this way of beginning a story, but if it really speaks to you this way, then I think you stick with it. When it comes to these kinds of choices, which really boil down to artistic ones, I think you stick to your guns unless you are absolutely convinced it isn't working. I'd say that even if every single response in this thread was that it didn't work, but in your heart you believed that it did. That's what you go with. Of course, that's not a very helpful response to get on writing forums, but nevertheless I believe it is the correct approach.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I'm reviving this thread just to again say thank you to all who weighed in. Editing this novel is my nano camp project and I've decided to show the characters having a swim at the river, connecting, then show them going "home" to the barn in which Ayleth lives, to tell stories there. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you, scribes. You're the best!

Helen

Inkling
In the opening scene of my last novel I opened with one person telling a story to another. Is there a reason that would not be advisable?

It's done in the Godfather (Bonasera). And a story is told in American Hustle (Stoddard Thorsen).

In both cases, there's a message within the story which is important / relates to the main story.

There's no technical reason why you can't do it, but if it's unrelated you'll get complaints that it takes you out of the main story.

Last edited: