• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Best Cure for Writerblockitis?

When I have writer's block, a break turns into an episode of a television show, which turns into a video game, which turns into me getting tired, which turns into me doing this for three or four days. The only way to break it is to work. Work through it. I know it's the last answer you want to hear, but that's it.

In music composition, you are taught that writer's block is a trick of the mind, and it is the sign of a lack of practice. Someone who writes every day, who is used to the routine of writing, whatever they may choose to do during that routine, doesn't find themselves blocked nearly as often. The great composers who wrote everyday for their living never mentioned writer's block, and I feel the same spreads across to writing narrative as well.

CicadaGrrl

Troubadour
Scheharazad method (and I know I killed that spelling): I find someone who is interested in my writing. Luckily, I have a lot. Draft your best friend, your parents, your sibling, your writer partner, your mailman--whoever. At the end of the writing day, call or drop by on this person. Read aloud what you have written that day. You get immediate emotional feedback. Ask for a few lines of first impressions. Most importantly, this person gets invested in you story. At the end of the day, you know this person is waiting to know what happens next. You HAVE to write something or they will hassle you when you try to make your excuses. Also, I just make myself write. I have a plan for what I should be writing that day. Especially on first drafts, I have to write for me time that day. I have to write the scenes and it the points I decided made this scene matter. I wonder later if it was any good. Writing is a job. An important job. How would you like it if your doctor decided he'd rather scrub the bathroom with a toothbrush rather than complete your surgery?