• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Best VR Experiences for Fantasy Writers

I realize that those without VR won’t find this post very useful. Yet I decided to post it, since writers are awfully curious, and might be interested in my ramblings anyhows. Here goes:

For writers, computers mostly function as an obstacle, constantly offering procrastination in any shape or form. The thing that sabotages writing the most is using a PC with internet access.

I think VR is the one area where computers can actually help writers. Unlike traditional gaming, which has a mechanical air, VR is all about the experience. It is physical. With VR, you can hold a bow, or a sword, or see the inside of a pyramid. You know what they say: Write what you know. And VR is the closest you get to actually knowing a fantasy world.

Beatsaber
This may seem like an odd choice. But Beatsaber is all about music, and music means a lot to me in writing. This is the best rhythm game in existence, and with thousands of fan-made maps, you’re sure to find some using your favorite songs. There is something about having to follow the beat of your music with your own body that really get you into the mood of the song. Sometimes, I get distracted right in the game because the music acts as a muse, filling me with inspiration. I suddenly played a map with Paul Simons You Can Call Me Al, and my brain jumped straight to my story, making me fail the game.

Katana X
This is something as fringe as a VR version of Fruit Ninja, made several years before Fruit Ninja got its own official VR version. What makes this game stand out, apart from its gorgeous visuals, is the physics which are some of the best you can imagine. It feels just like swinging a real Katana. So if you’re into the more serene and spiritual warriors, this one fits that style perfectly.

Blade and Sorcery
Hyperviolent close-combat sandbox. Really good if you want to try out some physical swordplay. Here’s me doing some knife fights:

Skyrim VR
This is a VR adaptation of an existing RPG. They did a really good job converting it, and you won’t find any other fantasy game in VR with such a massive, believable world. A lot of the RPG mechanics don’t really fit VR, but you just get so into the world that it doesn’t matter.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
This is in third person perspective, but somehow it works perfectly in VR. It’s seldom that VR experiences take their story and world this seriously. Usually it is more just soulless RPG mechanics.

Funny thing is, where the obligatory opening scene of Skyrim left me cold, even when watched in VR, the opening of Hellblade was simply breathtaking, even though it was purely the equivalent of an exposition-filled prologue. Go figure.

Google Earth VR
Gives you the ability to dive into any place on earth and explore it. While the detail isn’t perfect, you get a sense of being in an entirely different place.

In Death
Solid gothic theme, and you learn how to shoot a bow. After playing this, I got annoyed at the game CyubeVR which only let you hold the bow with your left hand. My primary eye is my left, so obviously I should be holding the bow with my right. I wouldn’t have known details like this, or the correct pose, if I hadn’t been shooting a bow in a computer game.

The Thrill of the Fight
Boxing simulator. Super exhausting and feels like the real thing. Or so says the pro boxer who tried it. This is the one VR game that got the feeling of combat right.

Finally, the most crucial thing: A lot of VR games like this one requires extreme physical activity. Playing them is not only fun, but it will give you a killer workout. Something most authors need.