• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Best way to refer to a large group of mixed-gender minions/henchpeople?

ushKee

Scribe
Usually in fantasy, and fiction in general, whenever there is a large group of minions the villain has hired (or mooks as TVtropes refers to them) for the heroes to mow down easily, they all happen to be male. Maybe this makes them seem more expendable, or maybe this is sexism

But regardless of reason, I decided that I wanted to break the cliche and have the minions in my novel be of either male or female gender. However, I quickly ran into the problem that it was very difficult to not refer to them as "the men". Sure I could use "people", "group", "soldiers" (in some cases), but it was hard to repeat with these and it really does not sound as good.

Thoughts?

Gryphos

Auror
Depends on the context, I suppose. I myself am also trying to be gender-diverse with regards to my nameless goons, and I've managed well enough. If it's a military context, there are many options. You can use 'soldiers', 'troops', 'guards', 'the garrison', or even just 'fighters' if it's less of an organised military context. I suppose the key is to just focus in on what exactly the job is of these nameless henchpeople; with that, you'll find a better term to refer to them as ('our agents', 'the squad', 'my personal guard', etc).

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Villains, Brigands, Reavers, Cutthroats, Ruffians, Hoard, Gang, Barbarians... It really depends on the context and feel of your work. If it was modern, then something like "members of the Organisation" might fit.
I like a bit of a twist too. I like to use a word like soldier, which for most people still creates the image of a male fighter and then drop in that it isn't. The converse too I have used molls and dolls [for some of the hangers-on around an army] and some of them are male.

Enforcer is a term that comes to mind when I think urban/modern fantasy. The mob has enforcers that are basically henchmen. They could also have a nickname for themselves, or one that others call them, like the Snatchers in Harry Potter.

they all happen to be male. Maybe this makes them seem more expendable, or maybe this is sexism
I'd say neither. Honestly, it's generally because nobody puts much thought into the nameless, faceless, mob of canon fodder. They tend to be all male because that's the default we've had drilled into us with over 100 years of story telling- the nameless hordes are male. I'm not against diversifying, but hesitate to make any claims otherwise. Especially in books that are extremely diversified otherwise.

That being said, I tend to just call them words like horde, mob, or goons.

K.S. Crooks

Maester
Mercenaries or soldiers works. You could give the hired help a special name that the person in charge uses or is known by the rest of the world. In Star Wars it doesn't matter the gender of the Storm Troopers are, only that they follow orders. When a mercenary/minion/goon does something as an individual, throw in a he/him or she/her to identify them and their actions.

Kinzvlle

Acolyte
As others have, said minions. goons, henchpeople, and my favorite lackeys. Those are all rather generic since other terms like soldiers, mercs, bodyguards, flying monkeys, servents, cultists, and etc kinda depend on the context there being used in. Followers is a good one as well especilly if you baddie is espousing some sort of cause or misson behind his/her actoins.