• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

"Blocked" message

Nimue

Auror
Hey, I'm attempting to post in Character Q&A and it's repeatedly telling me "Sorry you have been blocked, unable to access mythicscribes.com", which is....interesting. I'll see if it lets me post here.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
I had that same message when I was PMing Nimue this morning. After a few minutes it went away and let me post.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I can promise you nobody's been banned recently, but this is a glitch only Black Dragon can look into.

Nimue

Auror
It's still blocking me from making that post... I wonder if it has something to do with the forum having something autosaved there?

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
"Blocked" is supposed to be the new language used when someone is on a temporary ban. Your account doesn't appear to have any warning points. So it sounds more like a permissions issue, which is on the Administrator level. Have you posted in the Q&A forum since the upgrade?

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Right, so maybe it's not a permissions issue. You could try clearing your browser cache, that fixes most problems.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Something odd is going on, though. I just looked at Malik's thread
Seattle Area: Barnes and Noble Signing
and saw this at the bottom

(You have insufficient privileges to reply here.)

with no Reply button available.

I have the same message. This is another permissions issue that needs ironed out. I'll get it fixed ASAP.

Such issues will continue for a while longer, until we get everything ironed out following the forum software change.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Skip, it's telling me that too. I'll see if Ganondorf has any luck.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
I have the same message. This is another permissions issue that needs ironed out. I'll get it fixed ASAP.

Such issues will continue for a while longer, until we get everything ironed out following the forum software change.

OK, the issue with the Self-Promotion forum should be fixed. Is it working for you now?

I'm still trying to figure out what happened with Nimue, though. The problem there isn't obvious, so I will delve deep into the logs.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Hey, I'm attempting to post in Character Q&A and it's repeatedly telling me "Sorry you have been blocked, unable to access mythicscribes.com", which is....interesting. I'll see if it lets me post here.
Were you trying to post a new thread, or reply to an existing one?

Try posting there again now, and see what happens. If you get the "blocked" message again, please take a screen capture of the whole screen, including any graphics surrounding the message. That will help me to figure out where the block is coming from.

Nimue

Auror
I was replying to an existing one. I’ll do this as soon as I’m on my laptop, though, because I wasn’t smart enough to save the post to google docs rather than my computer...

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
I know what happened. Nimue was blocked by the firewall that sits in front of our server. Something in her post triggered a false positive, so the firewall thought that she was attempting to hack the server. It was probably just a fluke. Firewalls, like antivirus programs, sometimes have false positives.

Nimue

Auror
Well, it still won't let me make that post, and it blocked me from sending the full text to Black Dragon. I'm wondering if this has something to do with copying it from MS OneNote, like OneNote makes it into a textbox or something?

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Well, it still won't let me make that post, and it blocked me from sending the full text to Black Dragon. I'm wondering if this has something to do with copying it from MS OneNote, like OneNote makes it into a textbox or something?

There's something in that block of text that triggers a security warning. The pattern of words appears to be similar to a malicious code. Try pasting it into a plain text file, and then copy that into your post. That could make a difference. If it doesn't, try changing the wording around a bit.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Worse comes to worse, you can always post a screenshot of it. It would be interesting to see the text that's causing all this.

Nimue

Auror
Augh, finally! I tried putting it into Notepad and pasting it from there, and it still blocked me. The only other thing I could think of is that I used too many double-dashes in it--five sets of dashes, okay, I have a problem. Everyone's a critic these days, apparently including the forum. So I replaced the double-dashes with em-dashes and it actually went through.

Man, if it blocks you when you use too many double-dashes, I'm going to be constantly in limbo over here... Quite a harsh way of breaking you of a bad writing habit