1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Book Length for Contemporary/Urban Fantasy

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by Ned Marcus, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Troubadour

I've started writing a new series—this time urban fantasy, which is new for me. I've recently realized that the first novel in the series will only be about 44,000-55,000 words. Do you think this can work? I understand that book length is determined by the story—and I agree with that. But would I be going against the expectations of urban fantasy readers? I've started reading more urban fantasy myself, but haven't yet read enough to develop a strong opinion on this.

2. Prince of Spires

Prince of Spires Minstrel

I think it depends. A good read on this I found is How Long Should a Fantasy Book Be?
    The question is probably what you want to do with it. If you're aiming to publish with a traditional publisher then it's probably on the short side of things. If you want to self publish then it matters a lot less.

3. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Troubadour

I plan to self-publish, but I was concerned about reader expectations. I've asked in a few places and the general opinion seems to be that 50,000 to 60,000 would work.

4. A. E. Lowan

A. E. Lowan Forum Mom Leadership

We're indie urban fantasy writers. Book 1 came in at about 136K (403 pages in print). Book 2 was 85K, a much more intimate story. And we're estimating that Book 3 will come in about 210K but we're also going to have a 3 army war. It all depends on two things - are you indie, and the needs of the story. If you're indie, you have more leeway than if you are traditionally publishing. If your story needs to be longer or shorter, obey the story.