1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Brandon Sanderson's 2013 Summer Class begins June 1

Discussion in 'Writing Resources' started by Twook00, Apr 24, 2013.

1. danr62

danr62 Sage

Cool. I got a lot out of the lectures from last year's class.

2. Twook00

Twook00 Sage

Yeah, same here. I'm interested in the critque segment too. Should be fun.

3. OGone

OGone Troubadour

Signed up, can't wait, I've already pretty much scoured and devoured everything Sanderson on Youtube.

Related note, midway through the second Mistborn book atm. What a series :eek:

4. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

Signed up. Thanks for sharing.

5. T.Allen.Smith

T.Allen.Smith Staff Moderator

Sweet. I signed up as well.

The last online lectures were great.

6. Philip Overby

Philip Overby Staff Article Team

I signed up. I'm planning on starting my next novel around that time, so this would be good to do. I've watched some of his videos before and enjoyed them a lot. I'll be doing ongoing editing too, so I may get a bit in the doldrums at times. Something like this may pick me up!

7. Nbafan

Nbafan Dreamer

Thanks! Signed up

8. LadyofKaos

LadyofKaos Scribe

I've signed up, too! Heaven knows, I need it. Thank you, Twook, for posting!

9. druidofwinter

druidofwinter Sage

Thank's allot took00, i have seen all of the one's you put up previously and they are all great! also thank's to brandon for doing this. (can't wait for Words of Radiance!) going to sign up now.

10. Chessie

Chessie Guest

He's awesome. I watched some old videos of a past class and they were amazingly helpful!

11. Philip Overby

Is anyone doing this? I'm doing it by myself, even though I signed up for the class. I'm just watching the videos and taking notes.

12. Chessie

Chessie Guest

I'm following it, yes. I posted one TERRIBLE story that somehow people liked. Anyway, yes. :)

13. Philip Overby

If I could ask, how are you finding it working out for you so far? Is the format of Write About Dragons site good for you? I was hoping to do this in June when I was less busy, but I'm wrapping up a lot of stuff at work in July so I'm just not able to participate how I wanted. So for now, I'm just watching the videos.

14. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

I watched the first set of videos and, so far, I'm having a hard time seeing the benefit. I think the most beneficial part of this project (it's a project by the way. The guy hosting the site is the same guy who recorded the class), is that participants are asked to write 1,000 words a week for thirty weeks. The goal is to have everyone peer critique the weekly segments and that your skill level raises from those peer reviews more than anything. It's basically running along the understood idea that the more you write, the better you become.

I'm mostly participating in the peer reviews. I have my Mythic Scribes writing group/beta readers for my own submissions.

15. OGone

OGone Troubadour

I've just watched the videos, I'm not sure if I'm going to take part in the writing or not. I find the videos pretty entertaining to be honest and I think there's a lot to be learned although so far they have mostly been covering what he went over in the past lectures.

16. Chessie

Chessie Guest

Phil, I don't think I'll be participating fully in it either. Much like Ankari, I have a critique group and beta readers already going. I posted one piece on there for extra feedback but I find the random system difficult. Its nice to follow a writer's work and have consistency with those that critique you. So pretty much I'm just watching the videos and sticking to the writing schedule. So far, I have found the daily writing more motivating since starting it, just a little push. :)

17. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

I watched the first two videos, seems to have some good tips.
    So I will keep watching.

He has terrible handwriting.
    Seems to be strongly centered on NanoWrimo style.

I have never taken a writing class, so maybe I think I need to "suffer" in a class.

18. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

I searched for this thread before I submitted this series, but the search didn't show this thread. So moderator ignore my submission.

19. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

The lectures aren't bad, in my view.

Sanderson mentions, when one student asks a complex question, that they are asking as section 401 question in a section 101 class. In other words, it is an introductory-level class that assumes no prior knowledge. For most of us here, Sanderson isn't going to say anything we haven't heard before, and we will probably also have well-formed opinions that conflict with his. For someone brand new to the craft, the lectures will probably be more valuable.