• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Brick by brick

Jester

Dreamer
I've come across a strange tool that I've been using to work around writer's block. LEGOs. I don't know if its because I work with kids or what; I have this strange connection with these wonderful plastic people that allows me to act out and extrapolate situations from my imagination, in addition to that I can pace action sequences better and form better details regarding them.

I thought to post this in case there's anyone else here suffering from a case of writer's block similar to mine; maybe this will cure you. They're relatively inexpensive and with adult fan modifications they're immensely customizable. I have the entire cast of meta-characters for my arc made up in miniature. Its quite satisfying to hold what was once only in your mind.

Last edited:

Draconian

Dreamer
You use legos too. I use legos to make the structures in my world from my imagination and then I also build some of my characters too.

I use google sketch-up and blender for that very purpouse, though mine ends up rather graphical rather than blocky

though after reading this beofre I dug out my old lego kits and rebuilt all the star wars stuffs. ahhh, I love chances to relive my wasted childhood :D

...I love chances to relive my wasted childhood :D

Having fun exercising your imaginations is never a waste.

And I wholeheartedly support the use of Legos. I'm almost 28 years old, and I still buy myself lego kits to build. True I don't sit around and 'play' with them after they are built. They go on display. But anyone with a decent imagination and take a couple of my pirate ships off the display, push them around the floor and in a few minutes have a decent story and cast of characters to work with.