• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

"But it doesn't happen on Earth!" or "But it's a fantasy!"

Has any character actually seen 100 foot snows?

Well it depends on whether or not the appearance of the Others in the past is mere fable or if it is true. It's not just the snow, it's the weather patterns in general on that planet that don't really follow a logical pattern.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
First, they need to show me how their world is different. Change my schema. Include a scene showing me why and how things are different so that I can suspend disbelief. There needs to be a substantial amount of detailed world building and "set-up" scenes so that I understand without a doubt that the scene is not a on-off with inadequate research, but actually how things are done in the world.

Yeah, I don't know. I think the style of story and the author's intentions are important here as well. Think of some fantasy works from the past, that have remained popular to this day - Conan, Fafhrd & Grey Mouser, Dying Earth, Elric of Melnibone, and so on. There's not substantial world building going on there. There's no explanation of what the rules are, or any attempt to establish parameters in the mind of the reader. The supernatural events in those stories are treated in a more ad hoc fashion, with the details serving the stories as the author desires. And not only are those old stories still well-read today, you've got a new crop of authors like James Enge, maybe Django Wexler in some cases, and others who are taking that same approach.

It can work either way, it appears to me. It's down to what the author wants to do with the work.

Sometimes in movies those "set-up" scenes are rather annoying, simply because I know why they are there when they happen. Aha, so Hero has this high tech gadget! Gonna be used later.... Quirky sidekick has unusual ability? Gonna be used later...

But I guess this is just the difference between hitting us over the head and a more subtle foreshadowing.

Reaver

Staff
I tend to write in 3rd person omniscient but I try to avoid foreshadowing when I write. Even though the reader knows what's going on with other characters, I like to throw in the occasional plot twist or abject shocker.

I also like reading books that do this. Not that I'm against foreshadowing mind you. I agree that it can be done well and that when it's done poorly it can ruin the entire experience.