• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Can 'pun' character names be in 'serious' narratives, and still be taken seriously?

I mean like 'everyone avoids the twins called Say and Tan, cause whatever (usually) harmless mischief they're up to, they are doing the devils work'
Or like, names that are palindromes.
Or names that have some kind of literal meaning for their jobs. Like a character's name meaning 'write off' for a guy who manages taxes.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Sure, just need the rest of the story to support it.

Scarlet letter is famous for using name suggestive of the character roles, and its a pretty serious work. And the twins in Alice in Wonderland have names like that, and the work still made its commentary on the social structures of its day.

You might surprised, in real life, how often names can be twisted into seemingly fitting their life circumstances.

Sure, just need the rest of the story to support it.

Scarlet letter is famous for using name suggestive of the character roles, and its a pretty serious work. And the twins in Alice in Wonderland have names like that, and the work still made its commentary on the social structures of its day.

You might surprised, in real life, how often names can be twisted into seemingly fitting their life circumstances.
Yeah, I suppose it would depend on the tone and setting and how important names are to the narrative. (which I guess is what you mean by the story needing to support it/lean into it?)

It's not like I plan to name a character 'senior rocket pants' cause he has rocket pants or something ridiculous like that. But I still wonder how 'joke'-y I can get with my names in a more serious setting. I want my next project to be more 'serious' in tone than most of my other stories but I also want it to be clear that there can be little moments of levity. (kind of like the dinner scene in hobbit)

pmmg

Myth Weaver
If you want it not to draw attention away from your story, I'd not use it.

The comic industry does this too with desired effect. Harley Quinzelle and Edward Nigma.

But, if you are writing me a serious story, and your character is jonny quickblade, and he happens to be fastest sword ever...I'll probably think it a little too on the nose.

If you want it not to draw attention away from your story, I'd not use it.

The comic industry does this too with desired effect. Harley Quinzelle and Edward Nigma.

But, if you are writing me a serious story, and your character is jonny quickblade, and he happens to be fastest sword ever...I'll probably think it a little too on the nose.
Yeah, I'll probably avoid too on the nose stuff like that if I decide to do that.
palindrome names seem potentially fine if I don't do it often.
I also need to decide how serious I want the actual story to be, cause even though I want it to be 'more' serious than my usual stuff? I don't want it to be overkill compared to what I normally write if that makes sense? This new story is still very much in the planning stages so I have plenty of time to sort everything out.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well...I have no mind for comedy. My stories are pretty serious. At times I think I should go and add some comedy, but...I don't see room for it, and its would only distract. I have no characters with names like you ask about above.

Well...I have no mind for comedy. My stories are pretty serious. At times I think I should go and add some comedy, but...I don't see room for it, and its would only distract. I have no characters with names like you ask about above.
I think the thing I'm going to go for in this story (regardless of how serious I make it) is more like, word play than proper puns.
Stuff like, two twin maids and their names are Marry and Anne (the joke being 'Maid Maryanne' from robin hood) but not explicitly for some kind of gag in the story. They just happen to be named that and it works out into a word pun.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
In my WIP...

I have a POV character, a minor officer who goes by the handle of 'Chimp' - a former thief who is damn good at climbing things and moving silently, plus he has abnormally long arms. Chimp's squad includes...

'Sticks,' another former thief, who looks like his body was put together from, well, sticks. Also good at climbing, hiding, and stealthy stuff;

'Skunk,' a soldier with a really bad body odor problem;

'Blaze,' another soldier, named for his flame-red hair;

and introducing 'Snuffles,' a female shapeshifter who sniffs everything and everybody.

With them for the time being is -

'Simple Simon' - a simpleton squire with a broadsword;

'Spots,' Simons half-sister and newly sprouted herbalist, named for her intense case of freckles; and

'Idleman,' half-brother to both Spots and Simon, a rogue who earned his moniker through sheer laziness.

And this is a fairly grim work, filled with fights and eldritch monsters.

I have a character in a serious drama called Hugh Jarss whose enormous buttocks are integral to the plot.

Weird thing is, the pun was entirely unintentional. I didn't realise until a reader pointed it out.

Krizzirk

Minstrel
How about "Rend". And then "Rend rends his foes asunder"

Or. What about..."smith'.
"Smith went to the blacksmith"

It very much depends on your story, setting, and tone.

Terry Pratchett wrote 30+ novels that are comedy gold, but also adres serious topics. Most stories can use a bit of comedy to break the tension and make the tough moments more impactful. And as for using a name denoting a job, the last names of many people here in the netherlands were simply their professions or something related to their personality. Plenty of people named Baker or Smith or Fisherman.

So yes, it can be done. Should it be done is always a different question. And only you can answer that one.

I think it works well for children’s and YA fantasy fiction…not so much for adult, unless you’re going in for cheesy comedy, but it has to be done intelligently and right. Miss the mark and it will flop like a flounder.

There’s plenty of examples. Feyre Archeron from ACOTAR gets me going 🤦🏻‍♀️ you know Fey-re, fey, faerie, Archeron, archer, she an huntress who uses a bow and arrow…ughhhhh

Yeah, don’t do it.

How about "Rend". And then "Rend rends his foes asunder"

Or. What about..."smith'.
"Smith went to the blacksmith"
I was thinking of stuff of that nature yeah, like where there isn't an actual pun, but when you read the name and think about the character for a bit you go 'oh...huh' If possible, I'd prefer the connection to be fairly subtle unless you're paying attention.

Kinda like Jhon the plumber, he specializes in toilets. Everyone makes the joke, but he's amazing at his job so they respect him anyway. His Rival Lou is in a similar boat (as in the Loo) but he's not as respected because he's that one annoying guy.

I don't think EVERY character in the new story will be named this way (I think it'd be overkill) just like odd one off characters who appear every now and then.