• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Chapter name

In my novels, I name my chapters and this is one I'm kind of having a problem with. Arylos was poisoned by the blood of Ngam, the Twilight Spider, and fell into a fever. Right now, Iris is taking care of him and in this chapter, he falls unconcious and starts having visions of his past as a Templarian before becoming a demonic god and the Shadow Alchemist. This chapters switches scenes between Arylos's visions and Iris taking care of him.

In Arylos's visions, you will see him growing up with his brother Narymous, see his brother convert, see him fall in love with Minourae, see Aryas rise as Avatar, see Minourae's execution, see Arylos's attempted execution and his conversion, and see Arylos's rise to power.

What do you think this chapter should be called? Please give me any suggesstions that you have.

AnnaBlixt

Minstrel
I name my chapters too and I like them to have a cohesive style that adds something to the chapter or enforces the mood.

If you're going for a minimalist style, a simple "Visions" might work.
If you are going for a more high fantasy epic title sort of thing, you could pick out the most significant vision and go for something like "The rise of Arylos" or "Of the rising days"
Or why not "Life of Arylos"

Ayaka Di'rutia

Troubadour
"Beyond the Mirror" or "Other Side of the Mirror", or something that has to do with doubles, since he's leading a different life than the one before.

Sinitar

Minstrel
I can't really provide a name for your chapter because that's something I struggle with myself, but here's a tip that worked for me.

When I name my chapters, I look for the origin of that chapter. Usually it's a scene, or a word, or an event. That helps me understand what drove me to write that chapter. Once I have this tidbit of information, the options begin to emerge.

So, what is the central piece of your chapter? Is it the visions? Iris taking care of him? Or something else? I feel there's too many things in there, and you don't know which one is more important. Hence you can't find the proper name :D

I can't really provide a name for your chapter because that's something I struggle with myself, but here's a tip that worked for me.

When I name my chapters, I look for the origin of that chapter. Usually it's a scene, or a word, or an event. That helps me understand what drove me to write that chapter. Once I have this tidbit of information, the options begin to emerge.

So, what is the central piece of your chapter? Is it the visions? Iris taking care of him? Or something else? I feel there's too many things in there, and you don't know which one is more important. Hence you can't find the proper name :D

It is Arylos's visions because it explains the dictatorship of the Nine Sages and show how he converted to a demonic god. Iris's parts are just her thoughts on him (showing how he sees himself and how she sees him and how other people see him and how those two views conflict) and she finds the permanent scars from the time he converted, which are also shown in the vision.

Carith

Acolyte
I know, I'm relatively knew here, but after reading about what you've describe to be happening in the chapter. 'Reflections' seems somewhat appropriate.

Carith

Acolyte
I think it works well, but as long as your satisified with the result, then that's the main thing for right now.

Nameback

Troubadour
I'm terrible at coming up with names--for anything.

This is why I just title all my chapters with Roman numerals.

I'm terrible at coming up with names--for anything.

This is why I just title all my chapters with Roman numerals.

I know many authors who do that. I used to do that as well, but I just found that naming them adds a little foreshadowing sometimes.