• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Character Development versus Out of Character behavior

SensibleRin

Dreamer
I've had this happen a few times to me.

An independent, strong-willed character will have gone through a major trauma, and is acting subdued and passive, allowing others to make decisions for them.
OUT OF CHARACTER! Someone in the audience will holler.

What is the difference between out of character behavior, and a realistic character that is well-rounded?
What truly defines a character, and are you allowed to move beyond that?

It is truly amazing how people can change in real life. Someone we thought was strong gets a taste of danger and is cowed. Someone weak-willed makes a decision to be stronger and succeeds. This is what in literature we call character development.

I suppose what I mean to say, how far is too far? How much can a character change and still be recognizable?

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
A character can change radically, but only if you take the reader through the process. Otherwise the change will feel arbitrary. Bilbo Baggins changes significantly through the story, as do Merry and Pippin. Tolkien took us through their development, so the changes feel believable.

I have a feeling if your changes seem out of character it's because you were too abrupt with the transition.

One other suggestion: keep something. There needs to be certain character traits that remain or else it will feel like it's a different person. In your example, the person might well be timid, but he might still be loyal to his friends or still a bit of a know-it-all, or whatever. Give the reader something (preferably something sympathetic) to hang on to.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Yeah, I agree with skip.knox. The basic foundation of a character is still there only now they have a reason to be different in some way. Using your strong to weak character. The change may not be instantaneous. It may be gradual or less on the surface. For example, if someone threatens this character's friends, this character may still grab their sword to protect their friends, but inside they may be a wreck. And once they're alone, they may fall apart. Have this happen maybe 2 times and then on the third, you could have them be completely unable to pick up the sword at all.

FatCat

Maester
I think what you're describing is what character development is. Not, 'well this character would never do this', but 'wow, I never thought this character would do this'. It's pushing that character beyond the comfort zone, something all of us experience as another day goes by. Gradual shifts in how they feel, how they interact, and next thing you know, it's almost a whole other person.

As to how far to take it, depends. What story are you telling? Too much change is just eradict and confusing. It really boils down to the story you're telling and if it fits. If your protaganist becomes their own antagonist, that's fine as long as the plot justifies it. But if a character's personality changes on the whim of your written circumstance, that's a problem.

Last edited:
OUT OF CHARACTER! Someone in the audience will holler.
There's little point presupposing what the audience will think. After all, most of them are probably glued to the TV and computer to see what Kim Kardashian is doing at any given moment. Do you really want them deciding what you write?

What is the difference between out of character behavior, and a realistic character that is well-rounded?
It's only out of character if you've built up an expectation for the character to behave one way and then have them act in a manner which negates those expectations. Passivity isn't necessarily a character-breaking trait. If it seems jarring then maybe it's because you haven't written the character to include this facet of their personality, or maybe they're just not the passive sort, in which the only thing you can do is rewrite.

What truly defines a character, and are you allowed to move beyond that?
It's all about internal consistency. If you can make the reader believe that a character would act a certain way by signposting certain traits beforehand then you can get away with murder.

How much can a character change and still be recognizable?
Quite a lot, I think. I've read plenty of books where the protagonist ends up being far removed from the milksop I encountered in chapter one. It's all about tiny steps, though. A minor shift in outlook or motivation along the way can have huge repercussions at a later stage, and readers won't feel cheated as long as you've shown them those changes along the way.

Last edited: