• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Collaborative Fiction.

Addison

Auror
For those of you who don't know, collaborative fiction is one novel written by more than one author. Like in a writing class when you're in a group and pass around one piece of paper, each person writing one sentence or one paragraph to continue the story.
I'm thinking I need a second imagination for my piece, that or a therapist. The first draft is done, I have re-read it and revised it in both the minds of a reader and a writer. From my perspective it's good but has some holes. Holes which I can not see. Maybe I just need a break but anyway: What do you guys think about collaborative writing. Not from a marketing or publishing perspective, but from a writing perspective. Good, bad, pros and cons, like dislike? Disaster waiting to happen?

How many co-written novels can you think of?

Sounds to me like you just need some feedback. Do you have any friends who can read and give constructive advice? If not, join a writers' group would be my advice.

TWErvin2

Auror
Like The Dark One said, you need another set of eyes on it, a crit partner or two, or a reader or two that can take a look a the novel in its present state and provide input on what works with it and what's lacking or needs improvement.

I know and have read a few novels from Baen Books that are co-written. From what I have read when their process is discussed, the senior (more experienced/popular) writer produces a detailed outline. The junior writer goes in and fleshes it out, then the senior writer revises, working a bit with the junior so they get it right. Then it goes to the editor. The reason I mention this process, is even that in their collaborative effort, a second writer isn't there to complete the story by finding and filling in the holes. The purpose is for the senior writer to help the junior writer in improving skills while the junior author is also getting his/her name out there in conjunction with the senior writer, building a reader base. It also enables the senior writer to not only help a fellow writer along but get another novel, like in a long series, out there for the readers sooner rather than later.
That's just one example that I know of.

If you do go the collaborative route and you do intend for the piece to someday be published, I'd stronly suggest that a contract be established between the two co-writers, including responsiblitiy, decision making, rights and royalty splits, what happens if one writer tires and desires to leave the project (or the series if it becomes that), etc. I'd recommend this whether traditional publishing or self-publishing is the goal.

MystiqueRain

Troubadour
My novel series is currently collaborative between four or five friends, and yes, it is like writing a portion and passing around the paper. We write it as different characters, so each of us handles two or three main characters that the POV continually switches between. However, this portion is just the rough draft of the actual story, two of us are the ones that put it all together (revising, editing, organizing, etc.).

I'm the main writer--meaning I take the rough draft and type it into something more fluid and polished, while my friend does the editing. Lately she's been super busy, so I've also taken over that aspect.

So pros and cons of collaborative writing...
Pros:
-It's obviously faster to write the story. You don't have to do all the thinking. The work is split among several people.
-You get different writing styles. Could be unique to each character, or however you decide to collaborate.
-It's fun to write with someone else. (doesn't sound like much, but sticking with the story through the whole thing is important)

Cons:
-You get different writing styles. It might be unique, but if done incorrectly, it would sound like a patchwork quilt all sewn up together and put on paper.
-Responsibility for the writing. Because there are so many people, you need to decide (as TWErvin2 said) about contracts, decisions, royalties, rights, credit, what to do if one person leaves, etc, etc. The list can keep going and that's one of the hardest things about collaborative writing in the end. A single author doesn't have to worry about sharing the duties with others.
-The question: Would you like to share credit and royalties and whatever with another person? That means this book no longer belongs to you; it belongs to two or more people. Is that a preference that you have?

Hope this was helpful!

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
There's more issues behind the scenes, but in terms of the advantages and disadvantages of the final product, it's faster writing with better ideas vs. mixed-up-writing style.

Scriptwriting typically involves several writers, but in the end the discontinuity vanishes behind actors and stage direction and visuals. With writing, the differences in your prose will be hard to reconcile. Some of it can be hidden behind a different POV character and polished by an editor, but that only goes so far.

Nonetheless, I really believe that the pressures on an author to produce rapid-fire books and lengthy series are going to lead to more collaborative and ambitious works in the future. More than that, I think it will be done with a great deal of success if somebody can put the right people together. Think about the different POVs of Game of Thrones and imagine that style being translated into a high-fantasy world and story like the Warcraft universe with an outline of 20 books released over just five or so years. You could do incredible things.

Last edited:

Addison

Auror
Thank you everyone for the replies.
I have given it to other people. Particularly the places which feel holey. I went out on a limb and gave it to my parents. Mixed results. For one thing they don't read fantasy....my mom has read the HP series but nothing outside. She only read them to understand and go along with the movies. My parents are mostly technical books, historical, and thriller/mysteries. Their response was marginal at best, the basic parent comments, "It was good." "I liked it." "You have talent." Thanks but what about the dialogue? Did anything throw you off? Was the pacing choppy or too slow or fast? I told them what I was looking for. Nada. There are zero writing groups or conferences where I live and just as many people to help me out. Seriously! Ever seen the Andy Griffith show? Mayberry is Chicago compared to my town. I'm nervous about sending it to someone over the internet both because it would be a stranger and I don't want it destroyed, lost or stolen. So when it comes to eyes it's just me, myself and I.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I've sent strangers loads of my work, and all I can tell you, is that asking for help is usually rewarded. I have very little fear of someone ripping off my work. Finding a good crit partner you trust is like striking gold. It's invaluable and you learn from doing critiques in return .

Addison

Auror
...Most people who I know who have great eyes for this stuff are, last I checked, getting ready for the impending school year. Do you think that faculty at a community arts center would do? Or the local newspaper?