• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Communication between the deaf and the hearing?

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I need some advice for a story I want to write. It's a VERY loose adaptation of the Hunchback of Notre Dame story, gender-flipped and heavily Disneyfied, with supernatural elements.

The story is set in Leeds, UK, sometime in the 1400's. The bellringer, Diana, is both completely deaf since infancy (thus rendering her unable to speak) and more recently a werewolf, which is why she is locked away in the belltower of the Leeds Parish Church, "for her own safety". The love interest is Vincent, a mage; the villain is Martin, Diana's ex-fiance and a deacon of the LPC, who broke their engagement after Diana was bitten by a werewolf and locked her up in the tower.

Neither Vincent nor Martin is deaf. This being the Middle Ages, there is neither any standardized sign language nor literacy available to help these three characters communicate. Diana likely has a system of signs that she would have learned from her family, who are also deaf; Martin, being Diana's friend from childhood before he was engaged to her, could very well have learned the signs as well, but Vincent did not. This is problematic, as the plot and character development depends on Diana and Vincent being able to converse.

I had thought that Diana could try to communicate with Vincent via various pictures that she'd draw (probably with charcoal on wood or cloth, since ink and paper were uncommon outside of monasteries), as well as body language, gestures or pantomime, but that would run into problems with the most basic phrases and questions, like "What's your name?" So I need a backup plan for use in-story and out. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. :)

Ever try to have a conversation with someone who does not speak a word of your language?

There are universal signs that we all use and don't even realize it. Also don't forget about body language, which happens to be the main way people speak to one another regardless of if they are hearing or not.

You could incorporate a lot of facial cues, head nods etc and still end up wtih what you wanted.
However, sign language has been around as we know it since the 16th century. Having said that it is understood that signing has been around for as long as deaf and mute people.

A good series of books to read that covers this topic is; The Earth's Children, by Jean M. Auel.

Her Clan people were unable to speak since evolution had not provided them that ability.

Last edited:

gowph3ar

Troubadour
I think having the Protagonist able to understand her might be a good selling point for the love. I know if I was a deaf werewolf, being understood on multiple levels would make me swoon.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Ever try to have a conversation with someone who does not speak a word of your language?

Can't say that I have. ^^;

There are universal signs that we all use and don't even realize it. Also don't forget about body language, which happens to be the main way people speak to one another regardless of if they are hearing or not.

You could incorporate a lot of facial cues, head nods etc and still end up wtih what you wanted.
However, sign language has been around as we know it since the 16th century. Having said that it is understood that signing has been around for as long as deaf and mute people.

I did mention body language in my post. :) Also Diana is able to lip-read, so that will be helpful as well.

A good series of books to read that covers this topic is; The Earth's Children, by Jean M. Auel.

Her Clan people were unable to speak since evolution had not provided them that ability.

I've never heard of those books. I'll look them up sometime. :)

You might consider incorporating some form of limited telepathy.

Ooh, that could be helpful! I still need to work out a lot of details regarding the werewolves and mages; that could be a feature of how they relate to one another.

I think having the Protagonist able to understand her might be a good selling point for the love. I know if I was a deaf werewolf, being understood on multiple levels would make me swoon.

That's the idea, yup. ^_^ They're going to figure out a way to communicate over the course of the story, and that'll help get them falling in love. I'm also tempted to take inspiration from The Little Mermaid; Ariel seemed to be able to get her feelings and thoughts across to Eric with little to no problems, aside from him having to guess her name. Vincent will probably have to guess Diana's name as well, and without the help of any talking animals. But Kit's suggestion of telepathy could help wonders with that.

Thanks for all the help, guys! :)

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
In my limited experience, ( I used to drive a school bus for handicapped children) I have noticed that the children were all very capable as long as someone was patient. Instead of drawing a picture each time she wanted to speak, she could have a set of stock cards... things that say common things... I don't think literacy would be high, but it's just an idea. You might explore that a little, because it is a tool I've seen used with small children.

Kids as young as three with hearing problems are able to communicate by pointing, nodding, shaking their head, or shrugging, and if they can do it, grown people should be able to manage fine... remember to her it isn't a disability, it's just the way things work. Adults who are suddenly without a sense find coping much harder than someone who has been without it their whole life. In my opinion, she would be very good at lip-reading, and maybe her intense watching as people moved and spoke might be a fun thing to play with.... making people uncomfortable and so on.

If you really wanted a realistic feel, you might try volunteering to work with deaf children in your area, or reading a book intended for parents of deaf children. I remember one of my friends who worked with deaf high school kids telling me once that when the kids got angry with each other they would gesture wildly, and the bigger the motion, the louder they were yelling. I hope that gives you some ideas to make her a colorful lively character.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Oh I thought of one more thing..... when I was driving, I wasn't aware of the kids' disabilities unless their parents told me about them. I had a little boy who I constantly had to tell to sit down, and one day I told his mom about it, and that was when she told me he was deaf.... HA! I hadn't even realized because when I spoke right to him, he listened perfectly. It was then I realized he was so good at lip-reading when he was 3!

In my limited experience, ( I used to drive a school bus for handicapped children) I have noticed that the children were all very capable as long as someone was patient. Instead of drawing a picture each time she wanted to speak, she could have a set of stock cards... things that say common things... I don't think literacy would be high, but it's just an idea. You might explore that a little, because it is a tool I've seen used with small children.

Kids as young as three with hearing problems are able to communicate by pointing, nodding, shaking their head, or shrugging, and if they can do it, grown people should be able to manage fine... remember to her it isn't a disability, it's just the way things work. Adults who are suddenly without a sense find coping much harder than someone who has been without it their whole life. In my opinion, she would be very good at lip-reading, and maybe her intense watching as people moved and spoke might be a fun thing to play with.... making people uncomfortable and so on.

If you really wanted a realistic feel, you might try volunteering to work with deaf children in your area, or reading a book intended for parents of deaf children. I remember one of my friends who worked with deaf high school kids telling me once that when the kids got angry with each other they would gesture wildly, and the bigger the motion, the louder they were yelling. I hope that gives you some ideas to make her a colorful lively character.
All excellent points! :)

@ the OP
Have you seen the show Switched at Birth? Really great! It's about two families who find out that their babies were swaped as newborns, One is deaf the other is not. It handles the follies of trying to communicate with someone who can't hear and be a part of a community that is very misunderstood.

Another book the OP might consider reading is I was patient # 87. I got a chance to meet Ms. Bolander. She is an amazing person. Her story is heartbreaking, sadly she is not alone. Many people who were deaf were locked away in "homes" ... This is her story, all about her Dx, the years of frustration, abuses, and sadness, and lastly hope.
She is not that old either, it is shocking how ignorant people are.

I remember having a conversation with someone I think he was about 18 at the time. Anyhow somehow or another we got to talking about my son who at the time was enrolled in a translitatory school for the heard of hearing. He had horriable ear infections that were setting him behind. Anyhow, this guy assumed and I quote "Oh he's dumb!" I had to try and explain that no deaf people are not "dumb" in fact my son wins state awards for his acidemics every year.

He no longer needs to sign but he still does from time to time. Which I think is really effin cool!

Last edited:

Zireael

Troubadour
Resurrecting the old thread in hopes people will find it useful: I am hard of hearing. Normally, I use a hearing aid - and you could have magic/technology fulfilling that role in a story. When I do not wear it (at a swimming pool) I help myself to understand via limited lip-reading and a lot of guesswork. I do guesswork when I mishear something in a loud environment with hearing aids, too.

For the situation the OP describes, anything goes - from pen and paper, stock cards, universal gestures or a kind of a sign language.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Thanks, Zireael -- I had no idea people read threads that far back! XD

I stated in the original post that it's set in the Middle Ages, so technology isn't nearly advanced to the level of modern hearing aids -- not that it would help since the character in question is completely deaf, not just hard of hearing. Also she is unlikely to be very literate, so writing or stock cards is probably out. I'm not sure there was a universal sign language at that point in history, so improvisation, charades and guesswork is their best bet, unless and until I figure out a magical solution (short of actually giving Diana the ability to hear).

Zireael

Troubadour
Ireth - I normally don't, but I was searching the forum for 'disability' and it came up :)

I missed the part about Middle Ages level of technology. Crude stick drawings in the dirt (like travelers drawing a map), lip-reading and guesswork would probably be the way to go.