• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Conserving details?

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I'm having a slight issue with this in my WIP. The heroine wears a certain accessory, a golden anklet with bells on it, which I'd planned to have come in handy when she encounters a group of characters who will only give her and her companions needed information in exchange for something pretty and shiny. Trouble is, the anklet has thus far only been mentioned on the first page, and I'm now over 100 pages into the story with no further mention of it. The shiny-thing-seeking characters aren't going to come in for a little while yet, either. How do I ensure that readers aren't put off by either a) forgetting about the anklet between pages 1 and 130-ish, or b) being reminded about the anklet to an obnoxious level every [insert number here] pages?

Telcontar

Staff
If the anklet has bells on it, it seems that describing her as 'jingling while she walked' would be appropriate at some point. Variations on that, well. If the anklet is as unusual in the book as it sounds here, have other characters comment on it as well.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Ireth said:
I'm having a slight issue with this in my WIP. The heroine wears a certain accessory, a golden anklet with bells on it, which I'd planned to have come in handy when she encounters a group of characters who will only give her and her companions needed information in exchange for something pretty and shiny. Trouble is, the anklet has thus far only been mentioned on the first page, and I'm now over 100 pages into the story with no further mention of it. The shiny-thing-seeking characters aren't going to come in for a little while yet, either. How do I ensure that readers aren't put off by either a) forgetting about the anklet between pages 1 and 130-ish, or b) being reminded about the anklet to an obnoxious level every [insert number here] pages?

If its 130ish pages I wouldn't think you'd need to mention it more than twice. After that it might be to obvious that she's going to need it later. Also, if it isn't really important other than as payment for a service these creatures render, if you mention it too much, the reader might be disappointed that it's only a pretty, shiny trinket and not something more.

If there are any tense moments, that might require stealth, leading up to that exchange maybe you can have her quiet the bells or remove it during that time?

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Thanks for the prompt response, Telcontar! The anklet isn't very unusual, but it is significant: not only does it help her get important information, its presence is a direct result a conversation had in the previous book, which will be called-back to in this one. (An important character advised the heroine via her father to wear bells in order to ward off Unseelie Fae, which the heroine does; the important character will make an appearance in this book, and the anklet, or lack of it, will be remarked on. This will provide a clue as to that character's identity, which is currently concealed.)

Edit to respond to T.Allen: See my response above. The anklet may be just a trinket, but it's a rather significant one.

Last edited:

Chilari

Staff
I should think a few mentions at relevant points - for example when the characters need to be quiet, when the scene is quiet and the sound of the bells therefore stands out (for example at night), or perhaps if your character undresses for any reason, it would be appropriate to bring it up. More than that would possibly feel like you're being pushy with it, but if it's a noticable part of her costume you shouldn't just ignore it, or the sharper readers will think "hold on, doesn't she have a thing with bells on? And yet she's tiptoeing about the castle without making a sound? Why is that?" If handled well it won't look like Chekov's gun so much as an aspect of her appearance and character until the point at which she trades it.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
My theory has always been to trust the reader. Maybe 130 pages between the mention of it and the use is a bit much, but my tendency is to mention it and leave them to remember it.

JCFarnham

Auror
There is a neurological theory that for something to be firmly placed in ones memory one needs to hear that artefact around three times.

Three could be too much, in your case (though even then I'm not sure that's the case. 130 pages is quite a few words I suppose), but to mention it just once could be a serious case towards the reader forgetting. Let's say two big mentions for now and alter the ratio to suit after that.

In a more subtle way, your descriptions of her could lean toward the kind of description you'd give toward the jewellery? Like if you wanted to get across that a person is evil, you couldn't just say that, you'd need to attach desciptors to them which call to mind evil. Same could be said for this anklet thing if you feel like experimenting. Don't push descriptions of the anklet itself, but push descriptions of situations in which it could be noticed but isn't, necessarily (like Chilari suggested in fact).

Ireth

Myth Weaver
*nod* I could easily slip in another instance or two of it being noticed. Thanks, JC. :)