• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Unique/Specific details before or after the rough draft?

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I got hung up on the word storywise. I don't think word count is a fair indicator of how much work goes into creating a story. A story is more than just the words used to tell it.
You have to come up with the characters and what drives them. You have to come up with a plot that makes sense and which intrigues your audience. I think that at its core, the effort of coming up with the story is the same regardless of what medium it is for. It's when you tell the story and adapt it to your medium that you'll start noticing differences.

I got hung up on the word storywise. I don't think word count is a fair indicator of how much work goes into creating a story. A story is more than just the words used to tell it.
You have to come up with the characters and what drives them. You have to come up with a plot that makes sense and which intrigues your audience. I think that at its core, the effort of coming up with the story is the same regardless of what medium it is for. It's when you tell the story and adapt it to your medium that you'll start noticing differences.

Very true. There are a lot of manga series that fall into the fantasy genre that have crap stories, just like there are plenty of crap fantasy stories in the traditional novel format.

Either way I need a complete product to work with if I hope to attract any outside parties interested in partnering up for a illustrated version.

Worst case scenario I can always include concept art and other artwork to supplement the novels. Having character concept art done to at least put a face to the names is theoretically within my budget.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
The short answer is yes.

The first draft, I just write the story out. If details come to me as I write they go in. If they don't, then they don't. Too much detail, I can edit it out later. Too little, I can add some in later. It doesn't matter because it's just the first draft is about getting the basic shape of the story down.

Some parts of the story may be crystal clear. Others, a foggy mess. Regardless, it's about getting to the editing stage, where you start to pull everything together.

The short answer is yes.

The first draft, I just write the story out. If details come to me as I write they go in. If they don't, then they don't. Too much detail, I can edit it out later. Too little, I can add some in later. It doesn't matter because it's just the first draft is about getting the basic shape of the story down.

Some parts of the story may be crystal clear. Others, a foggy mess. Regardless, it's about getting to the editing stage, where you start to pull everything together.

This looks to be the consensus. I'm glad that it is, lol. I'd rather blaze through the outline, create the structure and then start giving it the style it needs.

Nimue

Auror
This looks to be the consensus. I'm glad that it is, lol. I'd rather blaze through the outline, create the structure and then start giving it the style it needs.
I mean, even if it weren't, you should write the way that feels most natural and most productive to you! It's only if you run into issues writing the way that feels best that you should go looking for other opinions, I think. Though it's understandable to wonder about the general advice.