• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Could we have a 18and up forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

morfiction

Troubadour
I certainly would not recommend doing it. Many states have decency laws on the books, as well as laws prohibiting contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Not to mention doing so across state lines...

Very well, I'll have to keep my gritty stuff out of here. I hadn't thought of laws.

To be clear, I am not complaining about this website. Just saying my imagination is a very dark, dark place that often takes me on adventures I cannot share to the general public.

I do have questions, though. And I do recommend this site to anyone even remotely interested in writing.

ALB2012

Maester
My book does contain both violent and erotic elements. I do have a 18+ warning on it.
There are plenty of facebook pages for erotica writers and forums:)

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Having a 18+ Forum is a really bad idea, it would cause loads of trouble and it goes against the concept of Mythic Scribes as a family-friendly site and community... not to mention that we have no way to verify the real ages of people using the site, and that could cause legal complications as well.

Gutendaug

Acolyte
I wish that this forum could be of all ages to invite everyone to the joys of writing. Not the crap which some people call Erotica. I see it as a horrible thing to expose anyone to. Even Adults.

Mindfire

Istar
I wish that this forum could be of all ages to invite everyone to the joys of writing. Not the crap which some people call Erotica. I see it as a horrible thing to expose anyone to. Even Adults.

Careful. I think we have someone on here who writes erotica...

Careful. I think we have someone on here who writes erotica...

It's the intersection of two problems:

1): To get an audience on the Internet, it's best to write erotica or fanfiction. I'm bad at writing fanfiction.

2): A lot of the stories I want to tell deal with issues of sexuality, some of which would be very controversial if published in a mainstream magazine. It's difficult to convince magazine editors to take a chance on such a story, but the erotica crowd will lap it up if I make the sex graphic enough.

That's not to say I neglect the sex--I treat sex scenes like fight scenes in goofy superhero movies, included even in places where they don't improve the story much, but not included if they'd make the story worse. Nor does it mean that every story I want to tell that involves sex can be written as erotica, for the same reason that a serious story about violence doesn't work if the violence is as cartoonish and stylized as in a goofy superhero movie.

With that said, I've mostly got what I want. I don't write story-length sex scenes, so when I want to ask a question relating to one of my stories, it's more likely than not to relate to a nonsexual scene, which I can quote in full. (The one time I had to ask a sexuality question, specifically relating to white fetishization of black rapists, I asked for responses that were "as tasteful as possible," and I received them.)

Mindfire

Istar
I dont care. I think it's evil and ridiculous. Do I not have the right to my own opinion?

Sure you do. Just be respectful of others. I'm not going to sing the praises of erotica anytime soon. But I'm also not going to attack members of this community if I can help it.

FatCat

Maester
Agreed with Mindfire, you can have your opinions, but like they say, if you can't say anything nice....

I dont care. I think it's evil and ridiculous. Do I not have the right to my own opinion?

Wait... you think that all erotica of any kind is evil and ridiculous? That sounds like you're painting with a pretty broad brush. Just like with any genre, there's good and bad erotica out there.

robertbevan

Troubadour
seriously... six posts into a forum is a bit early to start calling people's writing ridiculous and... ha ha ha "evil".

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Yeah, let's keep in mind to share our opinions about things in a respectful way. Even if we don't agree, we need to be mindful of such.

Chime85

Sage
In no way would I describe erotica as ridiculous, let alone, evil. I'll admit, it's not my thing, there are many other genres I would much prefer ot read. However, it would be impertinant and wrong of me to label the writers (and readers) evil, simply because they lean to a particular genre.

there are many evils in this world (and the ones we create), and I personally believe erotic literature is a far cry from tyranny, torture, war and bigotry. We have the freedom to write our wants, our views and our thoughts. We also have the freedom, chose which of those thoughts we wish to read.

On a more topical note, instead of an 18 and up portion, can we perhaps just have a "sin bin" thread. A place all the naughty words and ideas are put, but can never be uttered on any other thread.

x

Reaver

Staff
I would think by now that the knowledge that there will be no such thread or section is a foregone conclusion. But to remove any more doubt, I'll quote part of the Mythic Scribes Terms of Service:

"You must not post, attach or link to any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, offensive, abusive, threatening, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, racist, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International laws and regulations."

If there are any questions as to what any of these bold-faced terms mean as they apply to erotica or any other related genre, please feel free to PM me and I'll get back to you A.S.A.P.

Last edited:

Mindfire

Istar
I would think by now that the knowledge that there will be no such thread or section is a foregone conclusion. But to remove any more doubt, I'll quote part of the Mythic Scribes Terms of Service:

"You must not post, attach or link to any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, offensive, abusive, threatening, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, racist, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International laws and regulations."

If there are any questions as to what any of these bold-faced terms mean as they apply to erotica or any other related genre, please feel free to PM me and I'll get back to you A.S.A.P.

Shall I take this to mean that you will soon be locking the thread?

Reaver

Staff
No I will not. I'm just simply stating that unless Black Dragon changes his mind, there will never be a thread for 18 and over.

Yeah. I don't think there's any problem with discussing erotica as a literary genre, just as long as we don't get into the, ahem, particulars. :) (I may be wrong of course, it's up to BD.)

Gutendaug

Acolyte
"Beloved, I urge you as aliens and strangers to abstain from fleshly lusts, which wage war against the soul." (1 Peter 2:11)

Im not trying to judge people. I'm trying to help people.

Status
Not open for further replies.