• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Creating fantasy lands.

BJ Swabb

Sage
I live in New Zealand and it has a very diverse landscape for a country the size of Colorado and the population of Louisiana. I've visited virtually every part of it so I can testify to the majestic volcanoes of the central North Island, the Norwegian like fjords of Fiordland, the rain forests of the West Coast of the South Island, the Mt Fuji like peak of Mt Taranaki in Taranaki, the Swiss-like rolling hills of the Wairarapa and Canterbury regions and the wet and wild South Coast of Wellington. There is a reason why the Lord of the Rings movies were filmed here.

But the fantasy-like landscapes of New Zealand are not exotic for me. It's the every day. For me, exotic would be forests where he flora and fauna that lurk within them could kill or hurt me, the weather is either cold enough to freeze those proverbial brass monkey privates or hot enough to fry eggs on a car bonnet (hood) or the rain is warm enough to make me think I was standing under a hot shower.

Few people ever think that the place that seems so ordinary and mundane to them is someone else's idea of exotic or even fantastical. When I hear people tell me how beautiful New Zealand is it reminds me that any place can be fantastical or exotic to those who've never been there before.
I totally agree. To one person (the person who actually live in those cool areas) find it as an everyday scene that isn't so exotic and fantastic as someone who is just visiting the place. It is a whole other story with for those who live there. My sister lives in Nelson, and has been there for over ten years now. Though she loved the scenery for a while, she says now it is getting old to her. She wants to move somewhere else now. LOL. I have been to New Zealand three times in my life, each time for about two to three weeks. Most of the time was spent on the beach, or traveling to look at the amazing sights there. The lifestyle is unique to me as well. Kind of reminds me a little of Portland Oregon to me in ways. But still a great place to live, I was (am still) so jelly of her).

And there were many more birds such as tuff luck feather birds that had tuffs of feathers on their heads of various colors among artpop birds that sang words they learned from the tuff luck feather birds such as the words "Tuff and Luck".
All the while retro birds remained silent, for they evolved knowing anarchy that left them all the colors of black and blue while anarchy birds never knew neglect and sang the words black and blue.
And there was another type of bird that lived in the tropical canopy known as "Need me birds" that sung the words of fruit names that "Feed me parrots" taught them.