• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Creative way to begin a narrative poem/epic

As i said in my previous thread, i am writing a story influenced by the poetic works of homer. I don't have a problem writing in this sort of style, it's what i enjoy actually. I just can't find a decent way to begin. Most of these poems, since they are Greek in origin, begin with trying to invoke the muses to tell the tale of X hero, his brave deeds etc.

My story is about mankind being enslaved to cruel deities who make them constantly kill and spill blood in their names for worship, then the hero sets out to purge the world of religion and liberate man from the "divine oppression"

Most poems do begin with a "zooming in " approach. Meaning, it begins by telling the basic idea of what your going to be reading, then who it is about and what they have done/why they are important. Finally, the tale begins by focusing on the hero or whoever the story begins with.

I want my approach to be creative but not to sound like the same thing you would read on the back cover of the book telling you what it's about. I'm a like stuck here...

Don't try to be an ancient Greek. You'll come across as someone who uses "thou" and "thine." Just start the story the way you would any, even if it's in hexameter.

I don't use words like that because i don't want it to be cheesy. I know I'm not Shakespeare lol

Okay here is a rough draft of what i got today:
...And at the dawn of creation was the Celestial Ones. They say upon their thrones which were the stars of the heavens and they breathed forth the world into being. And from their domain of light did they look upon the earth. Their gaze fell upon Man, for he too was there at the birth of life...

Last edited: