• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

D&D Movie

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I think I am going to spend a lot of that movie going *cough* *cough* bullsh*t *cough*....but I like the sound track ;)

In my case it'll be that (special effects way overdone in today's flicks) plus seeing how many critters I can identify from the 'Monstrous Manual.'

Now that I think about it, Skip Knox should be able to identify most of those beasties as well...

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well...I see just about every movie that comes out, and most of it is bad. So...just throw it on the pile. Maybe it will surprise me.

I think bullet train looks fun, but not seen it yet.

It looks like one of the dragons is breathing rocks instead of fire in the trailer. I am not sure which dragon that is from the original rules. I saw a dragon magazine today, and I must admit it made me wish there was still a dragon magazine getting published. I used to think, one day I am getting a story published in there. But its gone. I saw the original anti-paladin, and the new one. I dont favor the new editions. Just old school I guess.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Well...I see just about every movie that comes out, and most of it is bad. So...just throw it on the pile. Maybe it will surprise me.

I think bullet train looks fun, but not seen it yet.

It looks like one of the dragons is breathing rocks instead of fire in the trailer. I am not sure which dragon that is from the original rules. I saw a dragon magazine today, and I must admit it made me wish there was still a dragon magazine getting published. I used to think, one day I am getting a story published in there. But its gone. I saw the original anti-paladin, and the new one. I dont favor the new editions. Just old school I guess.

Black dragon. Spits acid. not fire. Also present: an owlbear - which they named (gal shifted into it)), Killer Mimic - the chest thingy, and a Gelatous Cube - pretty nasty.

That said, I watch very, very few movies anymore. Last ones were 'Lightyear' (mediocre) and 'Death on the Nile' (pretty good).

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well...I dont often see movies I would recommend. Its been a while. I thought X was pretty good, but I can understand if its not for everyone. I may be going back to john wick 2 trying to think of another that might still be considered recent.

I thought where the crawdads sing, was decent as well, save for the last minute or so. Was kind of like to kill a mockingbird, only with a woman as the accused.

Top Gun maverick is good...but there is not a lot of competition for it at the moment---though Tom...really...no one survives breaking up at Mach 10.

Eduardo Ficaria

Troubadour
The trailer for this latest D&D movie gave me the impression of being essentially a fantasy version of Suicide Squad, which I think is a good decision that fits well with what D&D is about in the end (from the little I know about it). Now, the world-saving stuff has gotten really old for me. I mean, ok, some powerful artifact fell into the wrong hands because of the main character not realizing its nature, but I'm sure they could have found plenty of inspiration in the D&D campaigns and lore to make something with a smaller scope but greater personal stakes like trying to save a character's kingdom from a plage or from a more intriguing menace such as a magical doppleganger that has replaced a relevant noble.
On the other hand, I didn't really recognized Michelle Rodriguez in the trailer till I saw her name in the credits. She looks her part rather well by the way. And it just me, or Chris Pine seems to be everywhere lately?

The movie looked bad from my POV.

I'll grant, it might be a smidgen entertaining, something super light to eat away a couple hours. An okay excuse to eat a large bowl of popcorn.

There's a movie-making approach that I abhor when it comes to fantasy-based movies. Everything looks super glossy and fake, like it's set in a theme park that just opened. It's super-clean, super-sharp, and all the finer details that would show the world is actually lived-in are missing.

Why do I abhor that?

Because the dream—for me, at least—is that the fantastic worlds might be real. Somewhere. Somewhen. So the plastic appearance is insanely irritating for me.

The same goes for plastic plots, so it's not all in the set design and camera work.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
I've got to say... this movie looks fun. AND it has a Black Dragon. I can't recall the last time that a proper acid-spewing black dragon made an appearance in a film.

I hope this lives up to its potential.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I think that might be a small bar to reach.

Recently saw Prey and the Princess on hulu. I thought both were good enough to pass if the scrutiny was small. I dont think the Princess was meant to be taken seriously, but had a good variety of action scenes with various weapons of warfare in it. Prey...well...okay... I suppose a more primitive tribe of hunters could get it done in a way that highly trained special forces types could not. I thought it missed some opportunities though.

I've got to say... this movie looks fun. AND it has a Black Dragon. I can't recall the last time that a proper acid-spewing black dragon made an appearance in a film.

I liked the inclusion of a Black Dragon. But I did not like the fact that people were able to simply walk over the acid-drenched ground, unhurt, right after it passed. This left me wondering if it was really acid. AND....well, there are no bodies or anything. It destroyed a bit of land, entirely missing everything. I suppose it killed the grass, I'll admit....Overall it seemed like more of the glossy theme park pizzazz, there for an effect but no real effects, heh.

Recently saw Prey and the Princess on hulu. I thought both were good enough to pass if the scrutiny was small. I dont think the Princess was meant to be taken seriously, but had a good variety of action scenes with various weapons of warfare in it. Prey...well...okay... I suppose a more primitive tribe of hunters could get it done in a way that highly trained special forces types could not. I thought it missed some opportunities though.

I kinda loved Prey, up until the last few minutes. Don't want to spoil anything here, but I thought the reaction of her tribe was unrealistic, given what little they had seen and known about events. (In other words, they were probably aware of mountain lions, so her brother's appearance earlier in the movie received a believable reaction. But her arrival, at the end? Ugh.)

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I would be a bit more harsh, but... if it gets its own thread, I may do so. Otherwise, it was passable. I also did not go for the reaction of the tribe. I'd watch it again, if others wanted. It was better than many of the predator movies with the aliens in them.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I liked the inclusion of a Black Dragon. But I did not like the fact that people were able to simply walk over the acid-drenched ground, unhurt, right after it passed. This left me wondering if it was really acid. AND....well, there are no bodies or anything. It destroyed a bit of land, entirely missing everything. I suppose it killed the grass, I'll admit....Overall it seemed like more of the glossy theme park pizzazz, there for an effect but no real effects, heh.

The depiction of the dragon in the semi animated Beowulf was pretty fierce.

The D&D movie is going for PG-13 probably? Maybe I should give it a little more slack. Maybe I was ruined on dragons and their effects by GoT.

I couldn't remember Beowulf. Tried watching some clips just now on YouTube, but I'll have to rewatch whole thing sometime to get the full effect.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I just remember it disintegrating large numbers of people with every breath. Been a long time since I've seen it too.

I will hold out hope for D&D movie, but I am not sold. The costumes do not hit me with any sense of wow.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Not that i really care, but it seems the gamer community is very upset with D&D over changes to its open license. Many are planning to avoid the movie to show their disgust. So the movie may suffer at the box office.