• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

D&D Movie

I liked the latest trailer more than the first trailer.

Still, the whole thing looks and feels like a live-action cartoon.

Lots of interesting things going on (ignoring all the jabs at humor....) but very unreal.

I mean, just put two things side by side: 1) The young character in this trailer accidentally setting off the trap on the bridge, and everyone looking at him, and 2) Pippin accidentally knocking the skeleton and bucket down the well in Fellowship of the Ring. One environment is dusty, old, and seems utterly lived in (and died in), but the other is a freshly painted set piece. Pippin's accident has dire consequences. This other character's accident is telling us to laugh.

Maybe I'm being too rough. Maybe I'll laugh at that point when I see the movie.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Daughter apparently saw this in an early screening, and gave it her approval.

I am harder to please though ;) We'll see. She was pleased she guessed the villain, but when she told me, I had no idea who it was. I am too old school for that.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Daughter apparently saw this in an early screening, and gave it her approval.

I am harder to please though ;) We'll see. She was pleased she guessed the villain, but when she told me, I had no idea who it was. I am too old school for that.

I did read an early review that gave the flick grudging approval.

I plan on watching it, but I don't have high expectations.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I know I will, at some point, have to watch it just in case. At least it isn't directed by M. Night, so it has a chance...

In fact, it's directed (at least co-directed) by the guy who played Sweets on the series Bones! LMAO. I would not have guessed that. The directing duo also did Spider Man: Homecoming, which was a hit, but I'm too burnt out on Spidee and superheroes to watch it. But I heard good things.

I'll hold out hope that it is at least watchable.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I went and saw this with an old buddy of mine today. My assessment: not great, but way better than I'd expected.

The characters actually had...character. The sorcerer gained a badly needed bit of self-confidence. The lead character was motivated more by family concerns than the pursuit of wealth - and managed to come to terms with those concerns. The tiefling druid and the fighter...well, they at least had legitimate concerns, which they acted upon. The deadpan Paladin was awesome. Even the one bad guy demonstrated a fairly complex persona. Yes, there were plenty of daring stunts and fight scenes, not to mention a vast assortment of critters from the 'Monster Manual.' (The obese dragon was impressive, and the Intelect Devourer scene was laugh out loud.) But...these elements didn't overwhelm everything else - plus their placement and usage made sense.

That said...the principal antagonist and her top flunkies were one dimensional. Only once did she display true creativity.

The Paladin simply abandoning the others despite *knowing* something ugly was going on didn't really work. I see why they did it - he was that impressive, but still...no.

And I have severe doubts the big bad is truly dead, especially given her nature.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Follow up on this. I did see the D&D movie. My expectations were low, and I think it rose above them but maybe not by much. I feel D&D is too much the past for me, and much of this is for today's crowd. I found myself saying BS to a lot of it (Specially in the opening 10 mins), and to me it felt more like the land of RuneScape and not Dungeons and Dragons, but... I think if I was younger I might have enjoyed this more, and been more excited about it. Really, I am just happy it did not make me want to walk out. I thought it was very predictable, and had me asking a lot of questions, and had a good amount of 'only in the movies', but...I am hard to please.

I feel I did my homework and saw it though. Most impressive to me was the displacer beast, maybe I missed it, but I never knew the tentacles were for projecting the false image.

I think it was mistitled though, I dont think anything in it captured to feel of honor among thieves.

All and all, I thought it did feel like an old game, with finding humor at stuff that should have been serious, and getting all the players involved. (Though I dont know why the CGI was so poor when they put the hobbit on screen.)

I doubt this will become a staple or great addition to fantasy enthusiasts, but maybe if it does well, there might be a sequel.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I would go in thinking comedy, not at all to be taken seriously. But it needs to reach a streaming service before I'll see it, heh heh.